Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Plantain-rich sward  (Read 5075 times)

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
Plantain-rich sward
« on: June 14, 2023, 05:26:37 pm »
I've allowed neighbours to take a hay/haylage crop off of my Field 2 for a few years now with diminishing returns for them (as I won't allow them to fertilize).  Now the field is predominately plantain-rich rather than rye-rich:  I wasn't expecting plantain to become a dominant "weed", but I'm happy that the rye is on the way out to make my future tree plantings easier to maintain.  My closest neighbour has asked whether he can cut Field 2 - I replied ... "of course, but there's very little grass content to be had".

Is plantain-rich sward good fodder or is he just doing me a good favour (he does actually owe me one, but nice to know)?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Plantain-rich sward
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2023, 05:38:15 pm »
Plantain is one of the good plants to have in meadow hay.  Helps livestock manage their worm burdens. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2023, 04:44:03 pm »
Plantain is one of the good plants to have in meadow hay.  Helps livestock manage their worm burdens. 

Interesting _ tell me more re plantain please !

Bywaters

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2023, 06:50:15 pm »
My hay yield dropped over time due to far too much plantain and yellow rattle. Yellow rattle is a parasite which feeds / destroys grass root systems (from what I have read)
My yield went from 120 bales down to 75. I had no option (not enough land ) but to do a little judicious spraying and then oversow.
I still have <15 different plants in the field but, 3 years later, yield up to over 100 bales again

A little is ok but it takes over , in time

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2023, 07:28:06 pm »
Are we talking broad leaf plantain, or narrow leaf plantain, or are they classed the same? I've seen broad leaf good for various things, but never see narrow leafed mentioned?

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2023, 08:52:46 pm »
Are we talking broad leaf plantain, or narrow leaf plantain, or are they classed the same? I've seen broad leaf good for various things, but never see narrow leafed mentioned?

No idea Penninehilbilly (broad leaf versus ...). 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS