Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Some ideas on how to deal with slugs.  (Read 15146 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Some ideas on how to deal with slugs.
« on: July 11, 2015, 07:45:48 pm »

This strikes me as a useful article on ways to deal with slugs.  It's written by a permaculture designer, but his methods can be applied everywhere.

http://www.permaculture.co.uk/articles/20-ways-control-slugs-permaculture-garden-or-allotment
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
Re: Some ideas on how to deal with slugs.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 08:35:44 pm »
All those ideas sound wonderful but are impractical for a 1/4 acre plot on cost or in my case that the plot is within a section of  meadow so surrounded by just a barrier i keep mowed short. I use slug bait and have no qualms about it.
the grrenhouses on the other hand are designed so slug entry is almost impossible.

the copper idea is old and very nive... but again cost is a facor unless you just want to keep them off a special plant or two. I;ve got three ponds all with frogs and there's plenty toads about...but it'd take many times that number to clear this acreage.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 12:18:21 am »
i recently saw several pictures where 6" wide copper band was covered in slug & snail slime as well as there being four slugs on it.

I'm using the nematode control method ..it's working but I might have to give them  another dose in three weeks time if it turns humid . It is expensive at £18 a session for enough to treat  40 sq /mtrs from  seed merchants like Suttons etc. .
 If I were a farmer or small holder  I guess it could be had for far less cost per sq mtr if I purchased in bulk .
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 09:54:38 am by cloddopper »
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 12:36:31 am »
I have an old kitchen knife which is known as the slug murdering knife, although I do use if for other things in the garden as well.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 08:05:01 am »
i recently saw several pictures where 6" wide copper band was covered in slugh 7 smnbail slime as well as four slugs on it.

I'm using the nematode control method ..it's working but I might have to give them  another dose in three weeks time if it turns humid . It is expensive at £18 a session for enough to treat  40 sq /mtrs from  seed merchants like Suttons etc. .
 If I were a farmer or small holder  I guess it could be had for far less cost per sq mtr if I purchased in bulk .

The concept of copper and electrolytic deterrance for slugs should work well. If ya thinks about it it has to depend on a potential difference.. so either copper oxide on one surface with a clean edge or an effect between the copper and whatever it's attached to... and the slug slime as the electrolyte. Once the whole slug is on the strip it's not going to work any more than birdies sitting on power lines.

It'd be a reasonable guess that copper mesh would be better than a solid wide band. or even bands made up of paired diferent metals?

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2015, 09:54:00 am »
I always sink Marg containers with cheap beer in them into the ground, the amount of slugs which I find are tons. Salt is also good, but near plants is a no go. You can buy organic slug pellets from harrods horticulture. Hope this helps
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2015, 10:57:01 am »
I have an old kitchen knife which is known as the slug murdering knife, although I do use if for other things in the garden as well.

For a moment I thought you were going to say.........'though I do use it for other things in the kitchen....'    :roflanim:

Being quite primitive creatures, I'm not sure just how immediately chopping in half kills slugs.  Standing on them against a concrete path, and twisting about, as long as you don't have deep treads on your boots, obliterates them, then other mini critters come along and clear up.   I've never had hens or ducks that would eat slugs - fusspots don't like the slime I suppose.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2015, 08:35:40 pm »
The one I like (as I have the means to hand without buying anything) is dog food tins:- don't wash them out, just put a bit of water in the bottom with the residue of dog food and sink 'em half way into the beds and the slugs are attracted to the dog food.

Although I do wonder if it's the right slugs I'm catching.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2015, 08:40:43 pm »
My brother does this and finds it very effective. Also, he doesn't have to wash out the tins for the re-cycling box!

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2015, 09:07:02 pm »
Well their suggestion of attracting predators such as toads is a pants idea. Look what I found today when I moved some undergrowth - he obviously hadn't read the article  ::)

Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2015, 09:28:26 pm »
Yuk on both counts, Katy!  ::)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Quirkygirl

• Joined May 2015
  • Cwmbran, Wales
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2015, 09:58:43 pm »
I read the article and I go for the duck idea.. I want ducks...

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2015, 10:21:52 pm »
I have ducks - they're not loose on the garden yet till I get my dog proof fence built.  :innocent:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2015, 11:56:10 pm »

For a moment I thought you were going to say.........'though I do use it for other things in the kitchen....'    :roflanim:

Being quite primitive creatures, I'm not sure just how immediately chopping in half kills slugs.  Standing on them against a concrete path, and twisting about, as long as you don't have deep treads on your boots, obliterates them, then other mini critters come along and clear up.   I've never had hens or ducks that would eat slugs - fusspots don't like the slime I suppose.

If they are on the path I tread on them like you said, but it's no good doing that on soft surfaces so it's the knife. I hope they don't suffer but they have to go. I'm hoping my resident frog(s) are busy with them at the moment.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2015, 01:06:22 am »
I call mine the 'Slug Slicer'

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS