Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: GOAT TICKS  (Read 1969 times)

BigBoyUK

• Joined Jul 2010
GOAT TICKS
« on: January 24, 2012, 09:42:34 am »
Hi,
I have 2 pigmy goats who both have ticks. Can anyone recommend a treatment and or preventative which I can purchase in the UK?
Regards
BigBoyUK

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: GOAT TICKS
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 09:51:56 am »
I think Crovect protects against ticks, amongst other things. But I imagine Frontline, that you use on dogs for ticks and fleas, would do so too. Might be worth talking to your vet?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 10:16:47 am »
Crovect will kill ticks, but you can only buy it in large bottles - if you have a farming neighbour he may be able to give you the amount you need. I think it would be a dose similar to lambs?

I think Spot-on is doing it too, but again it is expensive and quite a large bottle.

You would be best to talk to your vet and get something equivalent to a dog of similar size? As there are no veterinary medicines really licensed for goats your vet can prescribe medicines licensed for other animals under the cascade system - but it has to go through the vets.

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 11:02:23 pm »
As above - we use Crovect as I use it for the sheep too - but I do think 'dog spot on' is fine but I don't know the dosage so you would need a vets advice on that one
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Hopewell

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 11:45:31 pm »
I'd get some frontline spray from your vet and then spray directly onto each tick. If they are on the face you could spray onto a cloth and then wipe it on. It isn't licensed so shouldn't really be used if the goats are 'food-producing'.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS