Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ageing goats by condition of horns?  (Read 3254 times)

Violetsprite

• Joined Oct 2011
Ageing goats by condition of horns?
« on: March 06, 2012, 07:35:40 pm »
Do goats horns generally appear & develop at the same age irrespective of breed/sex? I'm trying to work out the age of 2 pygmies - there are said to be 1 year old but their horns look quite narly (?) and worn in places. Teeth all ok so not very old but i have 2 young goats around 1 year old and they only have bumps for horns & mum had horns so was expecting them. If mine are anything to go by though these 2 pygmies must be older than a year. Anyone know?? Thanks

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
Re: Ageing goats by condition of horns?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 09:03:20 pm »
In my experience, girls are different from boys - girls horns develop slower and not as large even if the boy are castrated. I also have castrated boys with large, medium and medium minus size horns - so all in all I would say it pretty difficult to tell their age from the horns - some like rubbing their horns more and then get wee nicks/gnarly bits
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 09:15:45 pm »
Enid was born in April 2010, She's the white one so i don't know if comparing horns with her would help?

Hopefully you can see her horns ;D
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 09:52:56 pm »
I would think that their overall "condition" would also impact on the horn growth - as in any changes in health, welfare, diet etc can make the horn growth change rate.
Are they 'rescues' or just of uncertain age?

Little Blue

Violetsprite

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 08:30:26 am »
Little blue - they are now in their 3rd home that i know of - sold to possibly their 2nd home as year old - then re-homed about 6-9 months later due to inexperienced owner unable to keep in garden full of rhodos (apparently the boy survived rhodo poisoning - how likely is that - suppose that might make your horns go gnarly!!) ...

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 08:49:42 am »
check the teeth..... do they have a "full" mouth  viz:  6 permanent teeth on the bottom jaw instead of baby teeth.

If a full mouth,they are likely to be at least 2yrs old probably nearly 3yrs.

Goats teeth change like a horse..... shed baby teeth as the permanent ones grow in.   Permanent teeth are much bigger & obvious.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 05:55:47 pm »
poor little chaps....
Little Blue

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS