Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Leaping Sheep!  (Read 6448 times)

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
Leaping Sheep!
« on: April 04, 2012, 05:47:18 pm »
One of our sheep has taken to showjumping.

Clears 4ft better than some of my horses.

Stock fencing with electric tape to top, still undeterred.

Ideas?

:sheep:  :trophy:  ::)

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
Re: Leaping Sheep!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 05:53:33 pm »
why is the sheep jumping the fence?
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 06:06:46 pm »
Dunno. Has been in that field with the others many times before as per usual routine. The others show no interest in following. Quiet field, nothing but the sheep in there.

She certainly isn't thin, the grass is good where she is, but suppose can't rule out 'the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence'. The adjacent field is ungrazed.

Need to keep her in though, or it could well turn into a habit no matter what field she is in?

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 06:19:50 pm »
I would say that now she has done it, it's going to be hard to deter her - unless you buy some tall fencing with top connected to mains electric!  I went to buy some sheep recently, and one very pretty one took my eye.  I said I'd definitely have her, and make my mind up about another two.  So said sheep was put into a pen with the other two, and promptly jumped straight out!  :D.  I didn't take that sheep ....  :P
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 06:35:52 pm »
Which reminds me, I'd forgotten - she always has had a tendency to pen leap.

The fence is already at the top of the posts, not an inch more available.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 09:00:37 pm »
Sell or eat... what breed/size? If she is a gimmer she may just settle down once she has lambed once... but maybe not. I would sell her.

Bangbang

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 09:13:53 pm »
you could extend the posts by using 3" x 1" timbers cut at 20" long, 8" of extension screwed into the
posts drill a hole through each extension timber 3" 0r 2" from the top - thread wire through and tie off.
U can use 2 wires etc. Remember not to over tension the wire.

BB

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 09:24:05 pm »
We had a ewe that was a bit quick,( OH called her) i called her mental! we penned her behind some silage bales when she lambed. Only thing to hand at the time. She jumped over the top like they weren't there and buggered off up the field. had to follow her with the lamb then leave them out together! Bale hopper we called her.
Always bred a cracking lamb and that was the only reason we kept her otherwise to market she would have gone.
Now we hurdle her with two over the top!

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 09:50:18 pm »
Sell or eat... what breed/size? If she is a gimmer she may just settle down once she has lambed once... but maybe not. I would sell her.

Suffolk. Her first lambing was this year, twins. Neither made it. Wasn't there at the birth, so one either stillborn or ignored, the other she didn't let suckle.

Was considering giving her one more chance with the tup this Autumn, but it's looking increasingly like she won't earn her keep, especially if more fencing required.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 10:15:29 pm »
bit drastic, but is it illegal to hobble sheep?
surprised at suffolk, thought they were a heavy docile breed
sounds too much hassle to me :(

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 09:17:44 pm »

Suffolk. Her first lambing was this year, twins. Neither made it. Wasn't there at the birth, so one either stillborn or ignored, the other she didn't let suckle.

Was considering giving her one more chance with the tup this Autumn, but it's looking increasingly like she won't earn her keep, especially if more fencing required.

Only one I ever had problems with mothering on was a Suffolk txl cross... but she is led by the bucket.. so even after she bolted from her lambs it was a simple task of getting a bucket in front of her and leading her into a pen. Bit of a pain though having to latch on the lambs every few hours, but in her third lambing she was great and as she produces cracking lambs (even if tupped by a Shetland...) we persevered. Lets see what this year brings... if she however ALSO was leaping fences, I think only way out be selling, possibly even as a cull(?), or eat her yourself.

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2012, 09:34:44 am »
Problem is, its a learned behaviour trait. At one time it will have been 'rewarded' (better grass, a tasty something) for fence leaping. You can attempt to unlearn it through fear (electric fence) or just eat it. Id do the latter.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2012, 10:32:30 am »
Some farmer once told me that the reason that commercial sheep weren't very bright was that any time one showed any initiative (ie jumping fences) it was taken out of the genetic pool  :D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS