Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Age, weight & slaughter  (Read 3083 times)

Weaner

• Joined Jan 2012
Age, weight & slaughter
« on: October 28, 2013, 08:48:07 pm »
I am pretty much a"by the book " pig keeper, 1lb of food daily per month of age, 26 weeks for meat and 32 weeks for gammon/bacon.
8 litters raised in this manner have been perfectly acceptable but on this occasion the owner on who's behalf I raise the pigs wants to send some for gammon at 20 weeks and the rest for meat at 21 weeks.
Is this far too early as I suspect and if so how will it manifest itself in respect of the meat ?

Andy

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
Re: Age, weight & slaughter
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 06:54:47 am »
You can make gammon from small pigs it'll just be smaller. Bacon might be a problem as the loins and bellies might be a bit small but otherwise everything the same as a bigger pig but smaller.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 10:16:01 am »
Why do they want them to go earlier?
Is it to cut back on feed costs becoz if it is they're cutting their nose off to spite their faces IMHO ::)  Far too young IMO for bacon & gammon especially in a traditional breed, the meat needs slow growing to develop muscle & flavour and to give some size to the cuts.
Mandy :pig:

Weaner

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 08:26:40 pm »
Mandy,

IHMO, IMO ?

Andy

A_Better_Life

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 10:12:00 pm »
IMO - in my opinion
IMHO - in my honest opinion

Regards

Gary

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 11:11:44 pm »
Well, well! I always thought IMHO was "in my humble opinion". You learn something new every day!
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 11:18:27 pm »
Anyway, back to the point. No problem in using younger pigs for bacon/hams - as the others say, just expect everything to be smaller (and maybe leaner, depending on how you feed).
I sent some pigs off last spring a bit early (4 mths) because I needed the space and had customers waiting for pork. The chops were half the size of my usual ones, but they were hugely popular with people who thought they were brilliant for barbecues. Also, the quality of the meat was amazing - incredibly tender. I also did bacon from the bellies - fantastic.
All you need to do is advise the owner of your concerns about size etc - the decision is up to him/her. Good luck. Liz

www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS