Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: herbs and cooking  (Read 5536 times)

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
herbs and cooking
« on: March 13, 2011, 09:15:10 am »
What types of meals do people cook and what herbs are used/

What herbs go with with meats, vegatables, breads,  bisucits, noodle dishes?

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
Re: herbs and cooking
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 11:17:14 am »
I use herbs in all sorts, grow all my own with quite a few surviving well in the poly all winter. My favs are herb dumplings and herb yorkshires, the herb depending on the meat ( Rosemary for lamb and sage for chicken etc.).As basil is very hit and miss up here I grow a lot of marjoram which replaces basil well. As we fish a lot I also grow a lot of parsley which I also add to quiches. I also grow Sweet Cisely which goes in jams and Southern wood which goes in cakes. I dont use herbs in breads as my daughter wont eat it then. I like lemon verbena and mint teas and I am growing more things to use as teas to cut another thing off our shopping list. I should use more of them cause of the amount I have!

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 10:23:21 pm »
grow a lot of marjoram

had to do a double take there  ;D

kingnigel

• Joined May 2009
  • Gainsborough
  • www.zabalaz.co.uk
    • Zabalaz Siberian Huskies
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 11:50:17 pm »
grow a lot of marjoram

had to do a double take there  ;D

not just me then lol :o

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 07:06:10 am »
 ;D tut tut

Kelticfox

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 03:22:57 pm »
What types of meals do people cook and what herbs are used/

What herbs go with with meats, vegatables, breads,  bisucits, noodle dishes?

I work as a designer and one of my clients owns a cookery school in Buckinghamshire. When I used to work there in the kitchens the amount of things I learnt was simply put, insane. As such I now grow my own herbs in a 3m x 1m raised (wicking bed). This is my list and what I use them for:

From left to right  ;D

Peas - Nice and easy to start
Winter Savory - An old english herb not used much nowadays. Use it in stuffing for lighter meats such as chicken and turkey. A known aphrodisiac so be warned!
Lavender - Use it in cakes (you can even use the flowers to decorate the tops of fairy cakes). You can also infuse into soaps.
Marjoram - Dry it and use in Herbs Provincal
Thyme - Well everyone knows thyme.
Borage - Well I use it to attract bees and keep bugs away from my Tomatoes.
Sorrel - Pick the leaves and use them in a salad.
Sage - Good with Pork
Rosemary - Good with Lamb!
Banana Mint - My experimental plant of the year. I'll tell you what it's good for next year XD
Garden Mint - Good old fashioned mint.
Chocolate Mint - My second experimental plant of the year. Leaves taste like After Eight mints so I assume it would be good in a Cheesecake or such.
Chives - Potato Salad.
Garlic Chives - Garlic Bread (with just a smattering of melted butter). I use garlic chives if I cant get Ramsoms.
Rocket - Salad
Curled Leaf Parsley - Good with fish due to its strong taste
Flat Leaf Parsley - I chop with garlic and it eliminates the garlic breath
Basil - Anything with tomato in
Tomatoes - We use too damn many!

I also have Marigolds and Nasturtium interplanted as they attract lacewings and ladybirds. They can also be used in salads.
I've got to add some more plants to the bed as it looks a wee bit bare the moment. Remember if you plant mint to bury them in a large plant pot as they are invasive and will happily take over. Rosemary contrary to popular belief is not an invasive plant but remember to prune it as it will bush rather large.

Herbs should be regularly pruned and dried if possible. I have a lot of picture hooks above the archway into my kitchen which I tie bunches of herbs with string and hand them on to dry. Another bonus to drying herbs in your kitchen is that they will keep flies away (as they don't like the smell I assume).

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 10:48:30 pm »
Chocolate mint!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Sounds lovely, if I had one plant only to grow for the rest of my life that would be the one. ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS