Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Orphan lambs  (Read 5797 times)

freethyme

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Solihull
Orphan lambs
« on: December 16, 2012, 08:53:16 pm »
Evening every one  :goat:
I am looking at getting some more orphan lambs this coming year.  I am thinking of feeding the lambs on goats milk which is said to be a good replacement to sheep's milk. As I do not have any goats I would be looking for a local supply of whole untreated goats milk. I live in Knowle, Solihull, which is not that far from Birmingham airport. Are there any goat owners out there who milk their goats who are located near(ish) to me who would be prepared to supply me milk.
Thank you all for the support and advice. Thank you  :thumbsup:

goatwriter

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Cornwall, United Kingdom
  • Felicity Stockwell-writer Smallholder Magazine
Re: Orphan lambs
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 09:30:45 pm »
Goat's milk does not contain enough fat for lambs and is probably more expensive than buying a sack of Lamblac from your Agricultural Merchant. I usually find that each orphan lamb I rear will need 1 x10kg sack of Lamblac for the whole of the milk feeding period before they can rely on creep feed/hay/grass. Generally this works out at about £12 per lamb. Reconstituted lamb milk will give your lambs a far better start in life. Hope this helps.
Felicity

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 09:48:34 pm »
Goats milk is slightly lower in fat content than sheepskin milk. However, it is a very good substitute, and personally I would rather use it than buying in powdered milk.

Goatwriter, I'd also be interested in where you get your lamblac from, prices round here are a minimum of £30 for a 10 kg sack!

We have reared orphan lambs on goats milk for over 30 years, and had more issues when we have had to use powdered milk.

Freethyme, sorry but I am bit far away, and don't know that many Goatkeepers in your area.

Beth
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 09:56:23 pm by ballingall »

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 10:04:34 pm »
Freethyme - speak to Fay Ogden from the WOrcestershire goat society. She's not all that far from you, if you have space to store it frozen you may be able to collect a fair bit from her.
We had to use lamlac this year for orphan lambs and struggled with bloat but year before used goats milk and had fewer problems. Both sets of lambs have grown up healthily.
Commercial sheep farmer across road is having my surplus goats milk next spring for his poddy lambs  :thumbsup:   
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 10:09:31 pm »
I have half a bag of Lamblac left over from earlier this year if it's any use to anyone.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 10:12:06 pm »
I would second that a natural milk should always be better than any owdered substitute, and if the lambs are put onto creep early on they should do fine - but they always need to have had plenty of colostrum.
I have also found that powdered stuff results in more bloat, but never had any problems with goatsmilk yet.
However financially/time-wise it only works if the goatsmilk is free (on the same holding), I feed goat kids at the same time (time needed to wash bottles soon mounts up) , and you can give several feeds per day (or put them onto a lamb-bar). I wouldn't have thought it makes sense to buy in both cade lambs and the goatsmilk? :-\

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 10:26:50 pm »
I had bucket loads of spare goats milk this year and successfully reared 3 mollie lambs up to slaughter weight without any problem  :thumbsup:
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

kja

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2012, 06:51:12 am »
I had bucket loads of spare goats milk this year and successfully reared 3 mollie lambs up to slaughter weight without any problem  :thumbsup:

same here we have reared loads of lambs and calfs soley on goats milk they do very well on it too. much cheaper than buying in milk powder at around £30 a sack ! around here.

we also keep a stock of goats clostrum in the freezer for the the local sheep farmers, many lambs have been saved by it over the years.
we can still learn if we are willing to listen.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2012, 10:39:56 am »
we 'adopted' a lamb who had been started off on lamlac but we gave him our extra goats milk instead and he loved it, turned his nose up at lamlac when we'd run out
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2012, 10:54:31 am »
If you had to buy goats milk, how much would you pay for it? Even if you pay £30 for a bag of powder (that's 10kg I assume), that'll give you 50ltr milk, so 60p/ltr. (I've just googled prices for lamlac, and you can get it cheaper - suppose depends on where you are.)

Skirza

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2012, 01:14:45 pm »
Evening every one  :goat:
I am looking at getting some more orphan lambs this coming year.  I am thinking of feeding the lambs on goats milk which is said to be a good replacement to sheep's milk. As I do not have any goats I would be looking for a local supply of whole untreated goats milk.

Simple solution...Buy a goat! :thumbsup:

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2012, 07:05:33 pm »
Or two  to be kind to the goats  :goat: :goat:

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2012, 09:05:58 pm »
Or two  to be kind to the goats  :goat: :goat:
Best solution IMO.... ;D  and have fresh, healthy goatsmilk to drink in the house too....

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2012, 10:29:01 pm »
I'd agree with that.

freethyme

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Solihull
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2012, 07:13:52 pm »
Thank you all for your knowledge and experince.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS