Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What do YOURS like?!  (Read 5592 times)

daveh

• Joined Nov 2008
  • South Northamptonshire
Re: What do YOURS like?!
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2013, 05:29:48 pm »
Previous pigs of ours have had their likes and dislikes. Two refused to eat carrots but would happily eat cabbage. The present two large blacks do have a dietary preference - anything (including chewing on unearthed bits of brick).
Regards, David

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2013, 07:59:40 pm »
All of ours love:
acorns, sweet chestnuts, plums, pears, broad beans, peas, rose bay willowherb, clover, pumpkins, raspberries, brambles, goats' milk :yum:
Most like:
apples, beetroot, bananas, avocados, tomatoes, jerusalem artichokes, potatoes (cooked)
Some like:
carrots, marrows/courgettes, parsnips, cabbages & other brassicas
The pregnant and lactating sows all like greens - even if they don't like them when they're NOT pregnant/lactating  ???
They all really like a myxy rabbit if they can catch one  ;)

Button End Beasts

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Harston, Cambridgeshire
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2013, 08:33:50 pm »
Yep, we have caught past pigs chewing on a rotting myxomatosis carcass! Disgusting! Males me feel I'll to remember it.

And we have also had the stone chewers, 3 berkshires always with a pebble or stone in their mouths. What is that all about?!

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
  • Hampshire, near Portsmouth
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2013, 08:22:45 am »
And talking of rabbits, another fave treat is freshly killed pheasant, falling from the skies on shoot days in the woods where our pigs live.    Sometimes it is a duck.     They don't seem at all bothered by the noise of guns going off.

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
  • Hampshire, near Portsmouth
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2013, 08:27:45 am »
And forgot to say, mine chew stones too.   Obviously lots of pigs do it, I too would love to know why ???

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2013, 09:16:01 am »
We were told pineapple is poisonous?? Ours are really fussy OSB. Generally like apples, love goats milk (they slk if one in their nuts!) but leave most other veg.

JulieWall

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Cornhill, Banff
    • The Roundhouse
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2013, 12:25:28 pm »
A friend of mine once had a pig take a chicken that was standing on the wall of the sty, I know it's horrid but it's a mental picture that always makes me laugh.
Permaculture and smallholding, perfect partners
http://theroundhouseforum.co.uk/

nedfromtheshed

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Blackpool
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2013, 07:15:28 pm »
Our two Kune-Kune x GOS castrated boars like potatoes, apples, courgettes. Haven't got big enough butternut squashes yet or corn (maize) or French or runner beans (a bit late this year). They, too love convolvulus (bindweed). Also amphibious buckwheat, Fat hen (the plant), sow thistle and what I call wild mustard. They also like nettles which is handy. They don't seem interested in burdock yet or coltsfoot. They love sycamore, hawthorn, willow (especially) but won't eat ash leaves! I reckon they find and eat a lot of earthworms whilst rooting.

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2013, 08:32:28 pm »
Pumpkins - yep the luv em chopped up a bit ( like courgettes) and go for the seeds of course.

what amazes me is that they can identify the most calorific foods first then determine what food is the quickest to eat. For example - soft cooked spuds are eaten before a chunk of courgette.

Sunflower heads ! they fight over them.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2013, 08:35:54 pm »
We've kept OSBs, Saddlebacks and(mostly) Gloucestershire Old Spots, hundreds of 'em, and not one has refused anything, ever.

Button End Beasts

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Harston, Cambridgeshire
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2013, 03:27:28 pm »
"Sigh" I dream of having pigs that like stinging nettles..........

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2013, 04:21:42 pm »
We now get a supply of waste fruit and veg from our friendly fruit and veg wholesaler. The only thing that's been left uneaten is sweetcorn. No idea why.

caracroft

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Essex
  • 3 Saddlebacks and 12 Copper Black Chickens
    • Caras Croft Blog
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2013, 10:02:23 am »
Ive got 3 saddlebacks and they are fussy things!!

They used to like carrots when we first got them and we had bought a big horses bag from the farmshop!!  But after being given the first windfalls of apples they wont touch hardly anything else!! They will do anything for apples and apple leaves branches that we have cut down  :excited:. Also sloe twigs and leaves.

The chicken enclosure is right next to their enclosure and they whine like mad when I give the chooks lettuce,chard spinach in fact any greens, but when i give them some they look at it in disgust and keep looking over at the chickens like they are missing out on something far better!!! :yum:

Cara  :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS