Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Kitchen waste fed to pigs  (Read 10551 times)

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
Re: Kitchen waste fed to pigs
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2013, 10:01:06 pm »
My impression is that DEFRA is far more diligent ( spelling help please) than other European agencies.

My impression is that every country thinks like that... We are much stricter than everybody else! Fact is that every country interprets all sorts of things somewhat differently; some are stricter on some things, some on other rules. I don't think seeing all the others as baddies and us as the goodies is helpful.

On another note: I don't like how they automatically equate catering waste as animal byproduct. As far as I am aware, even catering waste from vegan restaurants can't be fed to livestock.

HappyHippy

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2013, 11:33:10 pm »
On another note: I don't like how they automatically equate catering waste as animal byproduct. As far as I am aware, even catering waste from vegan restaurants can't be fed to livestock.
Yes, you're quite right in that Ina.
It's not about whether we agree with the rules & regulations - because, of course there are a lot of sensible folk who'd feed responsibly and then there are also the not so sensible ones  ::) The whole point is that because of 'legislation' it's an illegal practice.
Obviously there are lots of examples of law breaking which happen and it's up to each individual whether or not they choose to obey them. I was brought up getting constantly reminded that "you're a Lindsay, if you do anything you shouldn't be doing, you'll get caught" it's kinda stuck with me into adulthood  ;)

rispainfarm

• Joined Jul 2012
  • longniddry
    • The Porky Quines
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2013, 08:36:19 am »
I was brought up getting constantly reminded that "you're a Lindsay, if you do anything you shouldn't be doing, you'll get caught" it's kinda stuck with me into adulthood  ;)
[/quote]

Me too!
Author of Choosing and Keeping Pigs and Pigs for the Freezer, A Smallholders Guide

www.porkyquines.co.uk
http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/linda-mcdonald-brown/23/ab6/4a7/

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2013, 09:15:02 am »
Hmm have had a look at article and comments and also the natural pigs website.
One suspects Tracy Worcester means organic veg waste from the estates gardens so hasn't probably never been near a kitchen, just an unfortunate choice of description by her to describe as a swill bucket ::)  The other website is a puzzle there are no clues as to which country it originates thought the pictures do not look to be from the UK possibly US or European, in the contact us part there is only an e-mail submission form, no landline, no land based address, the website is also new done in 2013 and i'm suspecting those numpties Compassion in World farming or something like that, its sounds like their kind of rhetoric.
Would be interested to hear what DEFRA made of it?
Puzzling ???
Mandy :pig:

jimmy

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2013, 10:33:11 am »
http://www.factory-farming.com/pig_farms.html

It turns out that Mark Cunliffe, an Englishman living in Thailand, has provided us with a sustainable model for raising pigs in a smaller area while maintaining space, cleanliness and the environment to allow his pigs to be pigs.

To see how Mark Cunliffe is doing it, visit his wonderful website at, http://www.naturalpigfarming.com/, and browse to your heart's content. Be sure to check out his pig humor page during your visit.

So he's living in Thailand, where I'm pretty sure isn't wrapped up in a billion miles of red tape like we are.

colliewobbles

• Joined Mar 2013
  • South Norfolk
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2013, 11:06:20 am »
http://www.factory-farming.com/pig_farms.html

It turns out that Mark Cunliffe, an Englishman living in Thailand, has provided us with a sustainable model for raising pigs in a smaller area while maintaining space, cleanliness and the environment to allow his pigs to be pigs.

To see how Mark Cunliffe is doing it, visit his wonderful website at, http://www.naturalpigfarming.com/, and browse to your heart's content. Be sure to check out his pig humor page during your visit.

So he's living in Thailand, where I'm pretty sure isn't wrapped up in a billion miles of red tape like we are.

I'm pretty sure Thailand's animal welfare standards are not the best either  :innocent:

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2013, 11:54:42 am »
One of the sad facts of tighter legislation is that for us raising pigs and even breaking even is nigh on impossible, due to the rocketing cost of feed. We have always been meticulous in keeping to the regs as we understand them, which is nothing containing animal product and nothing that has been in a kitchen. As stated previously distinguishing between garden waste ( e.g. shelling peas in the garden) and kitchen waste (doing it in the kitchen) is simple enough and easy to adhere to. I do feel depressed at the need to assume that common sense no longer prevails, but in my experience it often doesnt and the risks are just too high.
whenever we have had pigs, which we tend to alternate years to give the ground a chance to recover they do become a visitor attraction round these parts. I have lost count of the number of locals who turn up on the door step with slop bins, full of old bones, gravy, mouldy bread etc.etc, and look rather taken aback when we have to decline their offerings. The worst moment was last summer when a chap turned up outside with  a bin liner full of dead chickens, fully feathered and all, instructing me to bung them to the pigs- "pigs love a bit of chicken". He clearly thought i was an idiot.
I was tempted to suggest that our hungry pigs loved anything- i'm sure they'd eat me if a lay still long enough !!
whilst such fools remain I sadly can't see how else we can try to keep some sort of control on it all.
personally i am far more horrified that there are still those who throw whole chickens and left over bones to their pigs than the prospect that there might have been a bit of a horse in my beef burger

HappyHippy

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2013, 05:08:18 pm »
Wholeheartedly agree with you Devonlad.
You can have all the rules and legislation you like, but you can't legislate against stupidity  ::)

primrosepig

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2013, 06:23:33 pm »
For anyone on twitter @ThePigIdea is a campaign to put food waste back on the menu for pigs in Britain, Eu and worldwide. They are trying to enlist celebrities to endorse their plans.
On Newsnight tonight Zoe Davies from NPA together with representatives from the Pig Idea will be debating this issue. The NPA are launching their own campaign- don't kill me with kindness.
Once again small scale pig keepers are being blamed so NPA are targeting this campaign at them. Defra and AHVLA are convinced that so called hobby farmers are a threat to pig health in this country so I hope this does not come across in the programme.

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2013, 09:02:38 pm »
Newsnight sounds like a good watch.
My point above may have not been that clear but I was critisising those who write such loose EU regs rather than how individial countries interpret them - also the UK is a very small country and in larger countries it may be possible to get away with old practice regardless of new rules.
By the way - I read that 80% of the worlds fish catch ( by weight) goes into animal feed. does this mean that mechanically chewed up fish guts are in my pig nuts as "protein" ? Any ideas?
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2013, 12:49:18 am »
I don't know about in France but over here we got scared off including any animal protein in feedstuffs and I think the protein in pig feed is now of plant origin - mainly soya.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2013, 05:51:04 am »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23769171
I know that I'd be OK feeding swill to my pigs but my concern would be about the unscrupulous, the uncaring, the idiots and the down right lazy. I can see where the proponents of this idea are coming from but?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2013, 07:57:04 am »
What makes me spitting mad  :rant: :rant: :rant: is that it's because we can't control the disease in the foodstuffs in our own food chain that we have to outlaw feeding pig swill.  How not green can we get?  We ship contaminated food from all over the globe, mix it untraceably into all kinds of so-called food for humans and their pets, and so render it dangerous to use our waste food to create pork. 

The world This country has literally gone mad.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS