Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Recent Posts

Sheep / Re: struggling triplet - rearing a single bottle lamb?
« Last post by vegpatch on Today at 12:02:06 pm »
@ Twizzel. Many thanks, that's really helpful and reassuring. He's on the last day of a 3 day course of antibiotics for a respiratory infection. He's responding well to the antibiotic - so OK to leave him in stable, given he's been sleeping in a separate corner of the mothering up pen to the rest of his 'family'?
Sheep / Re: struggling triplet - rearing a single bottle lamb?
« Last post by twizzel on Today at 11:44:20 am »
I think I would keep him out in the stable in a little pen if he’s healthy, bringing lambs into the house isn’t ideal really unless they’re deaths door poorly or cold. Make sure the pen isn’t too draughty. He may call for a day, and he won’t drink much powdered milk to begin with, but as he gets hungry he should be more open to bottle feeding. Once he’s established feeding, you could let him run and out with the others.

The yellow and red Pritchard teats are my go to for bottle training lambs, they are much smaller than the non vac teats.
Sheep / struggling triplet - rearing a single bottle lamb?
« Last post by vegpatch on Today at 11:18:12 am »
Hello, looking for some advice please.  We've finished lambing - 4 sets of twins and a set of triplets.  Triplets are 5 days old and the smallest is now struggling (his siblings are normal size at birth, he was much smaller). He did have colostrum and produced lots of sticky orange droppings so I'm hopeful he has some capacity to survive with care. I had hoped to bottle feed but keep him with his mother - but he's refusing the bottle and she's no longer encouraging him to feed, or standing for him, so clearly I need to remove him before things get worse.

Do I bring him into a cool part of the house for the next few days so that he can't hear his mother and I can spend more time trying to get him to feed, or do I leave him in a pen in the stable on his own - the other sheep and lambs have access to the stable and use it quite often. My inclination is to make him go 'cold turkey' to encourage him to focus on us as his source of food for now but ...perhaps that's a daft idea. 

I'm aware it's not ideal to have one on their own but there was no capacity to try and adopt him onto another ewe, and I don't want to risk exposing him to new pathogens by looking for another lamb to keep him company. My hope is I'll be able to get him feeding well enough that he can cope being out in the field with the others during the day, and will come to us for regular feeds. I could then pen him at night to make sure he's safe from foxes etc., and perhaps give him access to creep over night as well.

Any advice very welcome.  I haven't had to hand rear a lamb previously so am feeling out of my depth here.

Thanks.

Hi all,

New here although I was on here 15 years ago when I was farming.
I am looking for a smallholding and a farmhouse on the same land to rent in the Bristol/South West area but with some many websites all leading to nowhere it seems, Im struggling.

Could one of you good folks please point me in the right direction of where to start to look for a small holding with a farm house to lease? I'm looking for something long term.

I hope you are all well.

Kind regards.
Coffee Lounge / Re: I know it's been done before but...
« Last post by smhowie on May 01, 2024, 06:52:59 pm »
milk
Marketplace / FS Tamworth weaners (Scottish Borders)
« Last post by shankendfarming on May 01, 2024, 12:43:43 pm »
3 Tamworth weaners for sale. Sired by Ordmains Jasper 2 and out of Allendale Princess.

There are 2 castrated males and 1 gilt piglet available.

Ready to leave from the 10th of May.

Located in the Scottish Borders.

Price £50 a head.

For photos or more information please get in touch
Marketplace / FS registered Tamworth boar (Scottish Borders)
« Last post by shankendfarming on May 01, 2024, 12:41:14 pm »
Ordmains Jasper 2 a pedigree registered Tamworth boar is for sale. He was born on the 10th of February 2017. He is a nice natured boar.
I'm keeping some of his offspring so can no longer keep him.

Price £150

Located in the Scottish Borders.

For more information or photos please get in touch
« Last post by SallyintNorth on May 01, 2024, 10:28:35 am »
sour
« Last post by smhowie on May 01, 2024, 09:46:04 am »
tart
Sheep / Re: Midge repellant
« Last post by moprabbit on April 30, 2024, 07:37:28 pm »
Thank you Sally for the reply.
Thank you Bishybarneybee, I'll give your recipe a try! 😊

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS