Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Turkey time is coming  (Read 2045 times)

Connor

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Northern Ireland
  • Like us on Facbook@ Maddens Poultry
    • Maddens Poultry
    • Facebook
Turkey time is coming
« on: February 20, 2014, 10:28:11 pm »
I have to order my turkry chicks for xmas time and was wondering what houses should I use would a house made out of pallets work? Also do turkey break out a lot
Maddens Poultry- Breed Black and gold silkies Like us on facebook
Maddens plants- Sell veg transplants Find us on facebook!

Contact me if your interested in veg transplants for your veg  patch!

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
Re: Turkey time is coming
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 10:40:52 pm »
Fox proof lodgings would be needed dry and windproof would be helpful and yes they like to wander if given the chance, can get over a normal sheep fence with ease. I find them very easy to keep but the ones I've had were not blessed with a lot of brains and have to be put to bed every night.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 06:44:01 am »
I kept them once and set up some heras fencing which I bought for £5 a panel.  That kept them enclosed and was good for easily moving around.  I did let them free range in the summer and they were fine.  I won't bother again because after the costs, and being let down by 2 customers (I only had tem birds) it wasn't worth it to me. 

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 09:17:47 am »
I have to order my turkry chicks for xmas time and was wondering what houses should I use would a house made out of pallets work? Also do turkey break out a lot

How many are you getting Connor?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 09:56:31 am »
Game panels with game netting over the top will contain them fairly cheaply, but they'll need foxproof housing.  We bought a cheap basic 6 x 4 ft shed kit, put in a half-round fence pole perch and cut ventilation holes in the apex at both ends (chicken wired to prevent wild birds entering).  This did perfectly well for one of  our breeding quartets of Narragansetts over the summer.  We built the shed onto skids so we could move it around the field to fresh pasture and creosoted the whole thing and it's going strong three years later.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS