Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: White vinegar as fly repellant on small lambs??  (Read 7318 times)

luckylady

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Yorkshire
White vinegar as fly repellant on small lambs??
« on: May 30, 2012, 09:21:26 am »
I have taken delivery of my Crovect and gun in readiness to treat the lambs this summer but as yet they are too small.  I have been told that you can use white vinegar as a fly repellant on lambs albeit not as effectively.  Going with the theory that something is better than nothing especially in this heat but I don't want to do it just on this one persons advice.  Has anyone else heard of this or tried it?  :sheep:
Doing that swan thing - cool and calm on the surface but paddling like crazy beneath.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: White vinegar as fly repellant on small lambs??
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 09:35:39 am »
I've not heard of this but it is an interesting theory.  Some people are more susceptible to midgie bites (me  :o ) than others and one possible reason is the different acidity of the skin.  I wonder how and how often you would have to apply the vinegar?  I think though that with just a few animals you can keep them clean and watch out for any fly attention in plenty of time to prevent strike for a couple of weeks or so.
The temp here has dropped a bit thank goodness.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 09:44:14 am »
Oh luckylady, you remind me of me!  I felt I needed to do something and so bought some stuff from countrywide (nettex fly repellent) - have duly sprayed my heavily fleeced/waiting for shearer ewes and even though it might not do anything, I feel I have tried.  I'm guessing you'd apply the vinegar with a spray bottle but as for how often, one roll in the wet grass might render any of these preventatives as useful as a chocolate teapot  :-\

I guess there's no substitute in the interim for keeping a very close eye for anything like Juliet say's and keeping our fingers crossed that the weather stays a bit cooler for a bit.
I have to say, flystrike has been the main thing that's got me worried since we've had sheep.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

luckylady

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 12:14:11 pm »
Thanks for the feedback.  Think I'll give it a miss as its a bit of an unknown.   Getting paranoid and checking them frequently for anything and everything since losing Cyril on Monday.  Fly strike is a bit worry in this heat - weather man got it wrong saying it was going to cool down for us yesterday when its hotter than ever today.
Couple of years back we had to deal with fly strike in the sheath of one of our horses.  Thankfully caught it early so flesh invasion wasn't a big issue but spent a week twice a day with gloved hand up his sheath hunting out maggots with diluted hibiscrub.  Thankfully he was such a gentleman about it.  :horse: ;D
Doing that swan thing - cool and calm on the surface but paddling like crazy beneath.

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 12:22:45 pm »
The best fly repellant is to keep your lambs clean. You don't often see maggots on a lamb that isn't shitty or pissy.

...waiting now for all the tales of those who have had maggots on perfectly clean lambs ::)

The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 12:43:24 pm »
The best fly repellant is to keep your lambs clean. You don't often see maggots on a lamb that isn't shitty or pissy.

...waiting now for all the tales of those who have had maggots on perfectly clean lambs ::)

Ahhhhh well now you mention it VSS....only kidding  ;)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 01:22:22 pm »
..... spent a week twice a day with gloved hand up his sheath hunting out maggots with diluted hibiscrub.  :horse: ;D

Oh good grief - I was going to have lunch but suddenly I feel a diet day coming on  :D :D :D
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 02:02:17 pm »

Yep, had one like that a couple of years back - clean lamb flystrike on her back, and AFTER treatment with Vetrazin (within the period it should have been covered). Only found it when she was down in the field...Big holes, washing out with Savlon twice a day, but she delivered a couple of really nice lambs this spring!

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 02:05:55 pm »
Is there an increased chance with rams being struck over ewes?
We've had two older lambs caught with flystrike, both boys, 1 lived the other did not. (not mine btw, but grazing on our land)
Just interested in Dot's point about urine - maybe dagging stops girls getting nasty mucky wool but boys bits aren't dagged (as such) especially first year of life.

luckylady

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 02:12:19 pm »
..... spent a week twice a day with gloved hand up his sheath hunting out maggots with diluted hibiscrub.  :horse: ;D

Oh good grief - I was going to have lunch but suddenly I feel a diet day coming on  :D :D :D
Sorreeee Fleecewife!  Will endeavour to post any other 'icky' tales at a more appropriate time of day i.e. not mealtimes!!  ;D ;D ;D

redborneschoolfarm

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 03:50:09 pm »
You could try mixing your vinegar with good old fashioned citronella that potent oil that makes candles smell funny. We used on special fringes around a horses forehead to keep the flys away from their eyes. It was not an irritant to the horse but did help keep away the flies. Failing that a bit of vetracin around their more dirty areas would do it.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2012, 04:16:07 pm »

Well, yes, it does happen - sorry!  But for sure the best defence is keeping them clean.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2012, 04:39:36 pm »
You could try mixing your vinegar with good old fashioned citronella

For lambs I prefer mixing the vinegar with good old fashioned mint ....

;D ;D
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2012, 05:56:50 pm »
Or lavender or thyme oil.

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2012, 06:17:59 pm »

Well, yes, it does happen - sorry!  But for sure the best defence is keeping them clean.

I know it does - we have it happen occasionally. But the odds are DRASTICALLY reduced if the sheep are clean.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS