Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feeding quantity for Sow with piglets  (Read 14790 times)

Ashcrow

• Joined Oct 2023
Feeding quantity for Sow with piglets
« on: October 27, 2023, 09:11:25 am »
Hi All,

First time pig keeper here. I have a middle white sow with 9 piglets that are 5 weeks old and I'm a bit concerened she seems to be loosing a bit too much weight. She is a 18 month old first time farrowing sow. We are feeding the piglets creep feed growers pellets now so I was hoping this would take a bit of pressure off her. She gets a good 2 kg scoop of sow nuts 3 times a day but is always pacing up and down for more when she here's anybody about.

Is 6 to 7 kgs a day of sow nuts enough for her?

Thanks for your help in advance.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Feeding quantity for Sow with piglets
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2023, 02:08:07 pm »
Sorry no one replied , rough guide  2 kg per sow + 0.5 kg per piglet  so 6.5 kg and you are feeding 6-7 so should be about right but since you said she was losing weight as 1st timer then maybe up it . Hopefully now you have or about to wean so she can recover
« Last Edit: November 13, 2023, 05:50:23 pm by shep53 »

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Feeding quantity for Sow with piglets
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2023, 04:55:36 pm »
If she's hungry and losing condition then up the feed or wean her if the piglets are taking creep. Did you worm before she farrowed? And have you wormed the weaners yet?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS