Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ewe Help  (Read 2048 times)

velcro

• Joined Aug 2008
Ewe Help
« on: December 21, 2010, 07:42:51 am »
I have a 5 year old ewe, she had a respiratory infection, runny nose cough, had 5 days of antibiotics, still had a bit of a cough so had another 5 days. She is ok now no cough nose a bit runny so I have put her out with the others. Eating and drinking fine.
Day before yesterday I noticed blood on her tail, have caught her and had a look at her, its not coming from her bottom but from her other "bits".
Could she have aborted, I know antibiotics should not be given after 4 months of pregnancy for that reason but she is only 2 months maximum.
Or could it be something else? Not a massive amount of blood, just drops, does not appear to be in pain and is her normal self.
Any advice please. 

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
Re: Ewe Help
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 06:24:31 pm »
Quite possibly. It is usually pretty hard to spot if they slip their lambs as early as that.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Freddiesfarm

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 08:53:54 am »
Most likely to be abortion - put her back with the tup and she will just lamb later than the others if you want.  Unlikely to be the antibiotics more likely to be just the infection and/or the handling.

You can use anti-biotics right through pregnancy and it is a recognised treatment for toxo abortion in very late pregnancy

velcro

• Joined Aug 2008
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 06:18:17 pm »
Just to say she is back on top form, nose not runny and other end ok too. She is with the tup so we will see what happens.
I am sure she did abort.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS