Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: First kidding only days away!!  (Read 4830 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: First kidding only days away!!
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2014, 11:28:33 pm »
Hope it's soon for your sake as well as hers.  :bouquet:

Trixie

• Joined Mar 2014
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2014, 01:13:50 pm »
Still no sign!  She has been moaning/grunting (more than usual) all morning but still eating like a pig and nothing else seems to be happening, looks like another sleepless night is in store. Nevermind

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2014, 04:59:47 pm »
they sure know how to keep you hanging on...have you checked her ligaments at the top of the tail? Now I know were they are and what they feel like I've found it pretty accurate
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Trixie

• Joined Mar 2014
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2014, 07:29:01 pm »
No I haven't what do I do and what do they feel like?  She has gone very hollow on her back end like a milking goat, she was always well covered there before.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2014, 09:04:03 pm »
She has gone very hollow on her back end like a milking goat, she was always well covered there before.

That sounds like one (if there are more than one) of the kids has engaged in the birth canal. It's called "she's dropped". Birth should be pretty soon after that, but if she is a first timer it may be a day or so later.. any discharge from her backend?

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2014, 11:04:34 pm »
run your hand along her back down towards the tail, using your fingerstips and thumb, when you get to the top of the tail you should feel something like a pencil either side, don't be afraid to get a good grip and use your finger tips, they will soften or disappear altogether when she gets close or you will almost get your fingers round the tailbone altogether. if you check a couple of times a day you'll soon get the hang of what you're looking for  :fc:
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Trixie

• Joined Mar 2014
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2014, 01:32:54 pm »
No discharge yet Anke
I felt around her tailbone last night and it had gone hollow each side of that as well, will keep checking for that.
Her udder I thought was big, but today its even bigger!
A BIG Thank you to you all for your tips and words of reassurance it is really good to have somewhere like this to find out things when you are new and unsure of what to do.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2014, 01:51:18 pm »
I hope everything goes well, good luck and try not to worry.  :thumbsup:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2014, 04:35:08 pm »
I hope it's not much longer. I'm on edge myself now. Goodness knows what you are like.

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2014, 07:19:24 pm »
Oh for goodness sake .....hurry up I hate this waiting!  :knit: Mmmmm pink or blue?
Anne

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS