Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What to have in the first aid kit..?  (Read 4505 times)

gingercloverbramble

• Joined Feb 2009
What to have in the first aid kit..?
« on: September 11, 2010, 02:48:38 pm »
We have two pet male lambs who live with our pygmy goat.
I am just wondering what sort of things we should keep in the cupboard for 'maintenance' and first aid?!
Apart from hoof trimming shears, anti-bac foot spray, thermomenter....are there other things we should definitely keep to hand?
I will post this under the goat section too!!
Oh...and we are using Vermx for the worming!
Many thanks!

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
Re: What to have in the first aid kit..?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 04:05:52 pm »
Crovect (so something in the same category) to prevent/treat flystrike.  Absolutely vital!  Needed throughout the summer months.  If you're not familiar with it, its a pour on.  We use it every 4 to 6 weeks in the height of summer, a little less often if its cold and wet.  We also keep antibiotic such as Alamycin (injected) handy in case of any kind of infection, and of course, syringes and good sharp needles.  You'll have to get this from your vet but you can probably get the syringes and needles at the farm supplier for your area.  I get my OH to do any injections, he's far better at it than me!!  If your land is apt to be wet or boggy, you need to treat for liver fluke with something like Flukiver or a combined fluke/wormer such as Combinex. These are oral medicines, so you will need a dosing gun (sometimes free with the product) or a large syringe to dose them with. Cheers.

gingercloverbramble

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 04:30:21 pm »
Thank you soooo much for your speedy reply.  :sheep:

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 06:13:55 pm »
dettol, rubber gloves, needles, syringes, iodine, foot shears, hand sheers, as previous comment crovect just a few things im sure there are loads more

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 01:55:54 am »
I've never taken a sheep's temp in my life  :D :D 

I would go for a 'proper' wormer - VermX may help to keep worms at bay but I don't see how it can kill them.  Foot shears, daggers, hand shears, Crovect, Terramycin foot spray.  I wouldn't bother with keeping AntiBs in stock for just two wethers - they would be out of date long before the bottle was used. I wouldn't bother with a dosing gun either - you would waste several doses just to prime it. Get any meds you need fresh from the vet, just the two doses at a time.  The vet will include the relevant syringes, with needles if for injection, so you don't need a stock yourself - but make sure they don't crunch on them as they split easily !  You should also be able to get the vet to decant you a small amount of Crovect to last each summer - the full 5l bottle is over £80. It can be successfully applied via a plant spray bottle (.99p) - experiment first using water to find how many scooshes you need to give the correct dose.  No point in getting in lots of expensive meds and equipment for two pet lambs.  Most of the problems sheep have are to do with reproduction, once you have dealt with flies and worms, and your wethers will not be reproducing.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 11:40:23 am »
Fleecewife

its nice to hear of Terramycin spray which I used to use over 20 years ago when I was a heardsman, as I have had store lambs this year and shortly getting my first little flock of 15 ewes I want to get some at the ready in case I need it but have not seen any around except the "purple spray" not sure if its even the same thing?  can I get any from any suppliers or is it only obtained throug a vet?

Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 11:54:06 am »
Hi Andy, I use Terramycin  and I can only get it from my vet - its not as cheap as the 'purple spray', I think my last tin was about £10.  The other stuff is about £4.50 from the farm supplies shop but the Terramycin is definitely  more effective.

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 01:22:03 pm »
cheers I thought there was a differance, thanks
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2010, 11:01:23 pm »
Also purple spray is just I think Gentian Violet, a bit like Iodine, whereas Terramycin is an antibiotic - and blue  :)  It's great for human cuts too, although we get a row from our vet if we use it for that......
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

waterhouse

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 12:20:29 am »
Keep antibiotics for when you really need them, then there's a chance that they'll work. Resistance to drugs because of over-use is becoming a big problem.

Purple spray is cheap and effective. Useful on horses feet too as is Stockholm tar.

Hibiscrub is a safe antiseptic cleaner and sudocrem will protect a cleaned wound very well.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS