Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: The ultimate milking stand.  (Read 2315 times)

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
The ultimate milking stand.
« on: August 16, 2012, 10:52:30 pm »
Okay so now I have the old caravan I am about to embark upon my project to turn it into a mobile milking parlour. I need to build a milking stand in it and was looking for some inspiration. What features do you think are essential? What would your ideal stand be like?
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
Re: The ultimate milking stand.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 08:42:04 am »
As long as it has a teather and the goat has a collar , just strengthen the bed base, you have a sink and fridge and cooker , sounds perfect. :excited:

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 11:51:05 am »
Fiasco farm website has a good design on it. I have also put lino on the base, so can wipe/disinfect it when needed.
Are you planning to sell milk (and therefore have hygiene inspections etc etc) - then I think the whole caboodle needs to be dis-infectable.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 12:39:13 pm »
I made the Fias Co Farm one too, it's very good. Not caring so much about cleanliness, I've put a rubber stable mat on mine for non-slipness.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 05:23:18 pm »
I never tether my goats for milking.  They are perfectly happy to stand and eat or chew the cud.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 09:43:48 pm »
Hmmm. Ellie might now but she did handstands to begin with and I am confidently expecting the same acrobatics from Rowan when I begin milking her  ::)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS