Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: drip feed  (Read 1900 times)

kingnigel

• Joined May 2009
  • Gainsborough
  • www.zabalaz.co.uk
    • Zabalaz Siberian Huskies
drip feed
« on: March 17, 2011, 01:17:20 am »
hi
does anyone use one of these drip watering systems, where you just leave the water on all the time and a constant supply of water is drip fed to the plants, if you do, how good are they and which one do you use. the same goes for soaker hoses.
thanks kn

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: drip feed
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 11:30:28 am »
I used to use a leaky pipe system inside my polytunnel.  You need good water pressure for it to work.  We use collected rainwater so needed a high water barrel for pressure - ideally should be at least 33' high but too windy here so we never really had enough pressure.  Eventually the pipes silted up so don't use it any more - which means I'm back to spending ages watering.  But if you have mains water it works well.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 02:42:00 pm »
i have all my pots hanging baskets and troughs around the garden on a dripper system, it was a cheap copy one i got for next to nowt

during high summer i have the drippers on for about 2 hrs each evening and find that is sufficient

my main flower beds have soaker hose buried in them and i just clip the hose on the end and go off and do something else whilst it sorts itself out

the downside of the soaker hose is if its not laid right you get dry patches (i know i have) where plants struggle)

this is all just for the flowers in my garden currently but if i ever get moved and start doing veg again properly i would certainly look at using the system again as it actually saves a whole lot of water as you only put it where needed and don't soak everywhere else...

kingnigel

• Joined May 2009
  • Gainsborough
  • www.zabalaz.co.uk
    • Zabalaz Siberian Huskies
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 12:21:31 am »
thanks for the replies, sounds like a thumbs up to that idea then,
i am wanting to set the drip system up to water my strawberries, rhubarb and really anything else that is perpetual.
kn

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS