Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What's the story behind your username?  (Read 24699 times)

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
Re: What's the story behind your username?
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2015, 09:46:22 am »
Just my initials HB

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
  • Hampshire, near Portsmouth
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2015, 09:55:03 am »
Tamsaddle because I used to breed Tamworths and Saddlebacks, which I miss dreadfully now that I have given up keeping pigs.   For some unknown reason, I always imagined "Daisy", as in Daisy's Mum, was a pig, not a jack russell!

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2015, 10:00:08 am »
Foobar - means absolutely nothing at all. It even has a wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foobar

I work in computing, and understanding the risks of the internet and for the sake of privacy I chose this name so that it in no way reflects or suggests any information about my actual self.  Sorry to be so dull. :)

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2015, 10:07:57 am »
Mine's fairly straight forward, when I got my first 'proper' user account at the start of my PhD on a cluster of old Dec Alphas and Sun Ultras, the usual naming convention was first name+initial of surname, but some one decided I wouldn't want to be called 'bent' so stuck my middle initial in there and I've been benkt online ever since.

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2015, 10:28:30 am »
I'm Scottish and I have a clan  ;D

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2015, 10:36:05 am »
I was totally unoriginal and now I realise, a bit formal using both my first and surname. My Ravelry name is Knotsonsticks, as that is what my family call my knitting, so with Dan's permission, I think I might can age in here as well to Knotsonsticks.

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2015, 10:52:40 am »
Victorian  farmer the name is about me. When I started farming I liked the old way of farming. So when some one said you're like the victorians I used the name.. I think the victorians were the best farmers after the war farmers kept the country  going. Whot they would make of the EU I don't no.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2015, 01:40:22 pm »
Foobar - means absolutely nothing at all. It even has a wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foobar

I work in computing, and understanding the risks of the internet and for the sake of privacy I chose this name so that it in no way reflects or suggests any information about my actual self.  Sorry to be so dull. :)

It doesn't mean nothing at all; I'm afraid on this occasion Wiki is wrong!

In the 70s and 80s it was widely used in computing and derived from FUBAR, which I think we pinched from the army, and meant F**d Up Beyond All Recognition (or Repair) 

So I've always wondered why you'd chosen it as a username  :-J

The one we used to really mean nothing was 'xyzzy', which was one of the magic words in the orginal (and in my view, still the best) text-based Adventure game.  (Called ADVENT because we only had 6 charcacters for file names.  And no lowercase.  lol)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2015, 01:55:36 pm »
OK, what about Coximus and Big Light?

And kingnigel - hope it's nothing to do with 'aagh I just tripped over the 'king cat'.  Sorry  :cat:

drive-by linkies [member=91599]Coximus[/member] [member=16566]Big Light[/member] [member=2435]kingnigel[/member]

And we should hear from [member=25919]HappyHippy[/member] too :)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

kingnigel

• Joined May 2009
  • Gainsborough
  • www.zabalaz.co.uk
    • Zabalaz Siberian Huskies
« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2015, 03:45:55 pm »
just because really, no other reason, when i joined this forum i needed a name and earlier that day a guy from work called me "the king" because i own a small amount of land. i think the nigel bit is obvious.

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2015, 05:24:14 pm »
I was totally unoriginal and now I realise, a bit formal using both my first and surname. My Ravelry name is Knotsonsticks, as that is what my family call my knitting, so with Dan's permission, I think I might can age in here as well to Knotsonsticks.

You (or any other member) don't need my permission! You can change your display name here, but please bear in mind the disorientation it will cause some other members:  :)

http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?action=profile;area=account

Your username (i.e. the name you sign in with) can't be easily changed.

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2015, 09:16:31 pm »
My father's nickname for me when I was a child. (He was brought up in New Zealand) :)

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2015, 10:53:15 pm »
Ghdp. Oh dear how dull. They are my initials. I think I am going to say it is now 'great handsome daring person' but Mrs ghdp would never let me get away with that.

paddy1200

• Joined Dec 2013
« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2015, 11:24:37 pm »
I used to own an FJ 1200 which i called Paddy, ( it's a motorbike )

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2015, 09:53:22 am »

It doesn't mean nothing at all; I'm afraid on this occasion Wiki is wrong!

In the 70s and 80s it was widely used in computing and derived from FUBAR, which I think we pinched from the army, and meant F**d Up Beyond All Recognition (or Repair) 

In this case it means nothing at all, regardless of the derivation of the word.  If I was fubar I would have spelt it correctly.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS