Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Very Naughty Piggies!!  (Read 2040 times)

SmallTimeSmallholder

• Joined Dec 2011
  • South East
Very Naughty Piggies!!
« on: July 24, 2012, 10:50:58 pm »
My latest weaners are being so amazingly naughty, I can hardly believe my eyes.
I brought 4 boys (brothers) a couple of weeks ago. They are now about 11 weeks old. They are being extremely unpleasant to one of the little fellas, biting him (alot), pushing him into the electric fencing & not letting him into the shade during the day. I know it sounds daft, but honestly, I've seen them!
I have separated him today, making him up a little house out of straw and put him the other side of the electric fencing, so he can still see the others. He won't be able to stay here for too long though, or he'll get the gate off & be off, hence the electric fencing.
How long, do you think before I can put him back? Will the others ever accept him? Any advice?
I just want happy piggies!!   :pig:

robert waddell

Re: Very Naughty Piggies!!
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 11:07:12 pm »
it does not seam like they are brothers with the antics they are getting up to    if you take them out it will be harder the next time to get the pecking order sorted out :farmer:

SmallTimeSmallholder

• Joined Dec 2011
  • South East
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 11:15:07 pm »
That is also my worry, but hardly seemed fair to leave him in there to be beaten up! He literally has bite marks from shoulder to rump, both side. There is nothing inside the pen he could of cut himself on, they are definitely bite marks... What other option do I have?
I am still fairly new to all this, so will gladly accept advice. I can't bear an animal suffering though  ???

robert waddell

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 09:15:45 am »
you have to go in there and beat up the bullies :farmer:

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 09:30:44 am »
I'd suggest spraying them all with something strong smelling (TCP, or even body spray would do at a push) this way they'll all smell the same and be more likely to accept him - was he from a different litter ?
Another thing which might work is to give them a can of beer to drink between them - I know it calms all my stressy pigs down and someone on here even uses it as a way to integrate adult boars (can't remember who it was though  :-\) It's worth a shot  :thumbsup:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 09:33:52 am »
Hi STS
We had a similar problem with 4 weaners once brothers as well in the end we split them into pairs, leaving the two big bossy ones together and the smaller bullied one with his nearest size brother. There was initial scuffling between the latter pair but they soon settled down in paddocks next door to the big lads so there was the odd spat thro the fence. As we couldn't take them altogether in the trailer (no partition then!) we had to make two separate trips with them to the abattoir.
This will probably be your best option given they are already 3mths old.
HTH
mandy :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS