Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Drama in the pond  (Read 2184 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Drama in the pond
« on: July 06, 2014, 09:38:17 pm »
We have two ponds, a wildlife one which is an ex duck pond in the orchard, and a posh ornamental one in the flower garden.  The posh one is fairly barren still as it's new.  There are some pond plants standing in it still waiting to be planted out after a year (did most of them today) and the odd frog swimming around, water boatmen and beetles and so on.  The other day we saw a tiny fish but it seems to have gone now, and from today we know why.  We were sitting on the rocks in the sunshine when Mr F spotted something weird at the edge of the water.  He peered and peered trying to work out what it was.  Suddenly  :idea: he'd worked it out.  It was what seemed an enormous dragonfly nymph carrying a small frog in its jaws.
Lots of you will say 'oh we've got loads of dragon flies', but we haven't and one of the reasons for making the pond was to get some and now we have  :yippee: :yippee: :yippee:   The thing is, it's quite big so must have been there since last year.  I suppose it could have come in on water plants, as the fish probably did, or it could have been laid last year and has been lurking ever since, living on frogs (there was no frogspawn this year so it won't have had tadpoles, but hopefully there will be some next year to fatten Cerberus the mini dragonfly.
It's wonderful watching this colonisation of the water from nothing.
I've just realised that the weird thing I saw eating tadpoles in the wildlife pond a couple of months ago was also a dragonfly nymph, but a bit smaller  8).  So we have more than one.  I'm over the moon  ::)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 09:42:42 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Drama in the pond
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 11:09:34 pm »
Well done!  Isn't it lovely when you see a species you've been trying to encourage begin to do well :)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Drama in the pond - Update
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 11:27:08 am »

Today we saw an adult dragonfly - the first - looking for a suitable place to lay its eggs - and it chose our pond  8).  The posh pond is starting to mature more now.  I have noticed a couple of great diving beetles, which means there'll be nothing small left in there to grow - still, they're fascinating too.  Apparently they fly in - wish I'd seen that.
Back in the summer there were lots of what I assume were whirligig beetles, circling madly in the middle of the water.
The birds use the posh pond as a giant bird bath, whereas the hens choose to drink from the rather green duck pond.  Our hens clearly like water with body  ::)  The swallows are gone now, but all summer they swoop over the surface of the posh pond to scoop up beaksful of water.

I could sit and watch the pond all day  :sunshine:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS