Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: lamb puller  (Read 3345 times)

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
lamb puller
« on: March 12, 2011, 10:48:22 am »
Hi, a couple of years ago i had a first time ewe with a ram lamb; with round ( tennis ball! ) head. Ouessants are not roomy at the best of times and rarely give birth to twins ( usually if they do its because they are oversize.) so singles are the norm. I have always been niggled by the fact that both myself and the vet were unable to deliver the lamb and it was evenutally delivered live by caesarian.   the vets biggest problem was getting some traction on the head to give a good pull; I have looked at the various lamb pullers rubber ties and the more rigid one with a plastic shaft. anyone any comments good bad indifferent; I am wondering if i should have one in as a back up the vet wanted to cut the last lamb up into bits to remove thank god I opted for a ceasar the poor blighter was still alive!  can anyone tell me who supplies the ones with the rigid shaft as I can only find US suppliers I will probably have to mail order but do not want to be in the position where a little traction would deliver a lamb and not put everyone through a caesar

many thanks
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
Re: lamb puller
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 11:06:26 am »
I get my stuff from Mole Valley Farmers.

Is this the one you mean:
http://www.molevalleyfarmers.com/mvf/store/products/lambing-instrument

This is the one I bought for our first aid kit:
http://www.molevalleyfarmers.com/mvf/store/products/lamb-puller

:sheep:

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 11:51:26 am »
Or if you dont want to go with a large company, try this one :

https://www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk/lambing-instrument-p-119.html
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 05:25:47 pm »
You can generally make one yourself with some plastic covered washing line.......however you need to get ur hand in to get it around the lambs head and legs with the home made or commercially bought one, so would be tricky in a Ouessant :-\
I think that over feeding primitives concentrates can lead to lambing probs as they don't usually have problems of big lambs getting stuck
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 05:36:06 pm »
Hi I could get my hand around his head I don't generally have a problem with room in ouessants but I do have small hands problem was the pelvic canal was too narrow to get him out he wasn't a big lamb and if his head had passed he would have popped out no problem. if you had seen the shape of his head it was just like a marble in  the top of a bottle ( not sure if you remember those bottles) vet was of the same opinion but I wasn't keen on his clamping a set of forceps to his face and pulling >:(  no problems lambing last year and I don't anticipate any this year but i don't want to be in the situation where I was thinking I need a lamb puller!

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 05:37:20 pm »
thanks everyone non sheepy friend has volunteered to go to molevalley they should be in next week.

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 09:35:25 pm »
hand and baling twine usally does job  and your arm muscles i 1st done this when i was 8 so its not hard but its done often well at least once a year

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS