Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hatching eggs - what's best to start with?  (Read 1830 times)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Hatching eggs - what's best to start with?
« on: April 25, 2011, 07:50:34 am »
We've decided to start hatching our own eggs due to the difficulties of getting vaccinated POL Rhodies PLUS the enthusiasm of poultry keepers on this forum for the venture.

What's the best equipment/advice to start doing this. I am presuming I will need an incubator - which one is best?

We have a place to put them. Do I need a heat lamp etc etc.

We only want to do five or six at a time....  What sort of return could I expect to get or is it pretty variable?

Many thanks for any advice.

Susanna
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Callia

• Joined Apr 2009
Re: Hatching eggs - what's best to start with?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 09:00:54 am »
You would either be looking to buy an incubator or perhaps a broody hen  ;) The hen option is certainly worth considering as she will also look after the chicks for you, providing warmth and protection along with teaching them how to be chickens  ;D
If you are looking for an incubator, I have to say the Rcom range are brilliant machines. They are so unbelievably easy to operate and all you need to do is fill the water up every few days, it literally does everything else for you !! The chicks will need heat for the first 3-5 weeks depending on the weather and their development via a heat lamp or electric hen but are fairly simply to rear. I don't think in all honesty that you would be able to make a profit from hatching such small numbers as cockerals can not even be given away down here and even hens are not selling as well as they used to.
The only problem I find with hatching your own is the amount of cockerals you get and unless you have a breed that can be sexed at birth you won't often know for 4-6 weeks for sure which are which  :-\
I think if you are just wanting a few laying hens you would be better to buy in some POL pullets if you can although you have said you are having trouble sourcing any.

BlueDaisy

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Grow your own - veg and chooks!
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 09:02:53 am »
I started incubating eggs in late 2009, so far it has cost me a fortune!
I only do small batches aswell. And I never vaccinate any of mine, if you were to add in vaccinations I think it would cost even more.
To make any money at it, you have to be lucky, well organised and quite mercenary! Good luck with it! ;D

john2708

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 09:10:42 am »
hi i have been hatching all sortes of waterfowl/poultry eggs for the past seven years i recomend the rcom 20 pro i just got 10 out of 10 of my buff orpington eggs and i use an electric hen for brooding. I all so keep broodie hens which are worth there weight in gold i have three at the moment all buff orpingtons great mums. I think you put more money in than you get out but its good fun and as mentions there is that cockerial/drake problem but you can always use those for dinner

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 11:22:06 am »
Thanks for this.

We have NO PLANS to make any money out of this venture.

It's just the difficulty of getting exactly what we want.

I like the idea of a broody hen and will post up a separate thread.

Susanna
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 11:26:45 am by suziequeue »
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Mays

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 12:40:50 pm »
i have a broody hen, so I bought her eggs that she is now sitting on & I am praying some hatch for her!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS