Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: My 11 year old is interested in learning to brew  (Read 33097 times)

Melias farm

• Joined Feb 2022
My 11 year old is interested in learning to brew
« on: February 18, 2022, 10:59:05 pm »
I have absolutely no clue where to start learning how to do this.
Where would be good for him to start learning please

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
Re: My 11 year old is interested in learning to brew
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2022, 07:28:59 am »
There’s loads of brewing type things he can do without getting boozed up at eleven.
Make kefir, kombucha, saurcrat?

As for booze, press fruit (apples?) look online for supplies like demijohns, air traps, siphoning pipe and yeast and follow instructions. I would recommend he writes down his process and materials as it’s a good practice for helping avoid mistakes or recreate batches that worked.

Ive bought bits from here before
https://www.home-brew-online.com/
I feel you’re better to start with mashing fruit than a bag of fruit juice or powder as it feels a bit more real , though it’s the wrong time of year for fruit.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2022, 10:23:01 am by Steph Hen »

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2022, 08:25:14 am »
How about ginger beer?

My Mum used to be a brownie leader, and we made ginger beer one year for the brownie coffee morning. The memory of several tipsy brownies trying to serve tea and cakes to OAPs still makes me smile!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2022, 08:27:23 am »
Also, whereabouts are you [member=215025]Melias farm[/member]? I'm sure there will be people nearby who would show him the ropes. There are also quite a few good homebrew facebook groups.

Melias farm

• Joined Feb 2022
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2022, 10:05:36 am »
Also, whereabouts are you [member=215025]Melias farm[/member]? I'm sure there will be people nearby who would show him the ropes. There are also quite a few good homebrew facebook groups.

I’m in Hastings. He’s wanting to make everything atm. He’s looking at fruit wines as well later on.
His sister has complex rare allergies so he’s been looking at the crap that’s in our food. He’s on the same page as I am about getting back to as natural and basic as possible

Melias farm

• Joined Feb 2022
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2022, 10:07:08 am »
Thank you all. I’ve shown him the links. He’s going to start reading and learning about it all. He wants to do a lot of research for a few months before he starts making.
He’s also doing pigs himself and ducks this year. As well as learning to keep bees himself. He’s a busy boy 😊

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2022, 04:38:56 pm »
I would suggest starting with cider .... dont have to add anything to get it to ferment if you use mixed apples
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2022, 05:15:57 pm »
I am not sure why nobody has so far stated the obvious.... if you as the parent of an 11 yo purchase brewing equipment for him you are breaking the law....

How can anybody even suggest that he starts with cider????!!!!

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2022, 11:49:42 pm »
Exactly.

Everybody knows you should start with Poitín  ;D

(In my defense, I did suggest ginger beer to begin with, which is at least not very alcofrolic. Rhubarb 'champagne' works well also, and is not very strong.)

if you as the parent of an 11 yo purchase brewing equipment for him you are breaking the law....

Is that actually true BTW?

Soooo, non-alcoholic options then?  How about elderflower cordial? I also made a blackcurrant cordial once, which was really good. It had a hell of a lot of sugar in it though!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2022, 06:19:54 am »

if you as the parent of an 11 yo purchase brewing equipment for him you are breaking the law....

Yes. Same as cigarettes, if you buy with the intention to supply a minor you are breaking the law. And posting on a public forum specifically for an 11 yo....

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2022, 07:17:50 am »

Yes. Same as cigarettes, if you buy with the intention to supply a minor you are breaking the law. And posting on a public forum specifically for an 11 yo....

my google search says ...
In the UK, there is no law that prevents minors from purchasing home brewing equipment or kits. Having said that, most large UK retailers will not knowingly sell these products to those under the age of 18.

There have been numerous threads on UK homebrewing forums reporting that major chains such as Asda, Tesco, and Sainsbury’s all refuse the sale of beer kits to children even if they were to be used as Christmas gifts, for example.

Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2022, 08:31:47 am »
From DrinkAware UK:
It is not illegal: For a child aged five to 16 to drink alcohol at home or on other private premises. This does not mean it is recommended. We strongly advise an alcohol-free childhood, as recommended by the Chief Medical Officers.

So if it's not illegal for him to drink at home (presumably under parental supervision, though that doesn't actually say?), it presumably must be legal for him to brew it himself.

Illegalities aside, I would be encouraging a different hobby at that age though. Does he like jam?!?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2022, 02:06:14 pm »
It is illegal in the UK for an adult to purchase alcohol on behalf of someone under 18 - end of story.

Please check the Government website.

Alcohol and young people - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Sorry to be pedantic about this, I don't care if parents buy some stuff for their teenagers to take to end-of-school parties, I guess we all did it, but an 11 year old? They may still be in primary school....

SamQuilting

• Joined Feb 2022
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2022, 03:13:04 am »
I would suggest starting with cider ...
I agree: making cider is a great introduction to explain the fermentation process. And there is nothing simpler. All should be done under adult supervision of course  :excited:
My husband has made some in the past and is now regularly home brewing (including ginger beer, I mean real beer with ginger roots).

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2022, 01:00:39 pm »
It is illegal in the UK for an adult to purchase alcohol on behalf of someone under 18 - end of story.

Please check the Government website.

Alcohol and young people - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Sorry to be pedantic about this, I don't care if parents buy some stuff for their teenagers to take to end-of-school parties, I guess we all did it, but an 11 year old? They may still be in primary school....

Not completely correct, [member=3211]Anke[/member]

Copied and pasted from the first page of that weblink

If you’re under 18, it’s against the law:

1. for someone to sell you alcohol
2. to buy or try to buy alcohol
3. for an adult to buy or try to buy alcohol for you
4. to drink alcohol in licensed premises (such as a pub or restaurant)

However, if you’re 16 or 17 and accompanied by an adult, you can drink (but not buy) beer, wine or cider with a meal.

If you’re 16 or under, you may be able to go to a pub (or premises primarily used to sell alcohol) if you’re accompanied by an adult. However, this isn’t always the case. It can also depend on the specific conditions for that premises.

It’s illegal to give alcohol to children under 5.

However, I agree, it would be unwise and irresponsible to allow an 11 year old to brew an alcoholic substance.

There are plenty of other things in science that he can safely play with and wine and beer are not two of them

JMHO as a mum and grannie
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS