Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Buying a goat with no CAE?  (Read 2282 times)

muddyhill

• Joined Feb 2013
Buying a goat with no CAE?
« on: March 11, 2013, 09:28:27 pm »
Hello,

I went to look at a lovely goat today, she's a nanny saanen type in Kid, 2 years old, seemed in good health.

However she hasn't got a CAE or ever been tested, or ever been vaccinated.

I am very much a newbie at this, and would really appreciate your thoughts?

Thank you

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
Re: Buying a goat with no CAE?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 09:38:03 pm »
Either walk away or ask the owner  if they will have her tested before you buy her.
Dont let your heart rule your head , just because she looks healthy does not mean she is clear and could bring heart break at a later date
Graham

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 09:51:26 pm »
If the owner is trying to sell her without a CAE or any vaccinations - walk away would be my first reaction. Also it would not be really fair on her to be sold into new surroundings etc etc while in kid (especially if she is in the last 8 weeks of pregnancy), it could be very stressful for both her and you.

Also - always best to start with at least two goats or a mother/daughter/castrated son combo.

muddyhill

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 09:58:19 pm »
There would be another goat from a friend, I definitely wouldn't keep her on her own. :)

Her owner is not quite sure when she's due to kid, she thinks the end of April, but maybe sooner, but I was also worried about moving her at this stage.

My instinct was to walk away, but wanted to check I wasn't being over cautious!  Thank you  :goat:

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 06:27:21 am »
WALK AWAY............ if she is positive then the kids will be positive as well.
If the owner is genuine then they will readily agree to a blood test.............if not then you have to wonder.  Once you have seen the terrible effect of the disease, you would not hesitate.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 07:32:35 am »
Walk away and let the owner know why you are!!  I made exactly that mistake - I bought 4 goats (my first goats) and they weren't CAE tested nor where they vaccinated. Within a month I had a £200 vet bill and a dead goat. INcredibly steep learning curve we had here - please learn from my mistakes as I'd never want anyone to go through the heartbreak we did.
We now have 4 goats that are tested, vaccinated, wormed as appropriate and incredibly healthy   
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 10:29:50 am »
We made the same mistake many years ago. We where still novices and felt sorry for an alpine. We brought her home and
later had her tested, she came back positive and we also ended up loosing our Honey our GG girl  because she also became infected :'(
Graham

muddyhill

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 05:15:03 pm »
I'm sorry to hear about your goats :(  thanks for sharing your experiences and helping my decision.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS