Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: problem goat  (Read 5499 times)

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
problem goat
« on: November 16, 2012, 10:18:49 pm »
We have a togg that is becoming a bit of a problem
When in seperate pens she is an outright bully and will take chunks out of any goat she can reach when in a herd situation she winds everyone up untill they gang up on her
She has bitten me on the shoulder twice when I have been in the milking pen milking another goat
Yesterday was so bad we had to pull her out before someone got hurt ! She is now in the big stable with the american miniature horse who thinks she is a goat anyway and always lived with a goat before we got her
Now the problem is do we leave them together or pen the goat up on her own
She can't go in with the dairy herd and def can't risk her with the boers
Any suggestions?
Graham

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
Re: problem goat
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 10:39:17 pm »
Curry :goat:

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 10:39:58 pm »
Curry??
Normally I am in favour of trying everything with the girlies, but if she's a menace I would eat her (if I liked goat meat).
Would she be mean to the pony? If not she might prefer that to my 1st option but there is only so much a wee horsey can put up with :goat: :horse:
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 07:55:05 am »
I think I'd be eating her too - she sounds likes she's going to be a menace with whoever she's with!

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 08:41:41 am »
Has her aggressive behaviour been triggered by pain ? or has she undergone a false pregnancy and thinks she is defending a youngster? either way she is not good news , definately on for the freezer.

countrywoman

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 10:22:16 am »
Has she always had an aggressive nature?  Had a mare years ago who became a menace and post mortem showed a brain tumour which explained her erratic descent into anarchy. 

With this goat I'd be thinking along the curry route like others because it is not worth risking the health and mental welfare of the others, pony included, not to mention injuries to yourself.  A strong-minded flock queen acting as a leader who keeps order is one thing but a bully actually destroying everyone else's peace of mind is not something I'd want to live with.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 01:59:32 pm »
Yes she has always been a bully, she is 4 years old and came here 18 months ago with her sister who is a happy part of the herd
She does also bully her sister but not as bad as the others ,  She has on more than one occassion drawn blood when they have all been out in the field aswell.
Things are quiet in the stable with her and the horse, infact they where both lying down next to each other quite happy so will keep a close eye on things over the next few days and if there is a problem we are going to have to have a rethink  :-\
Graham

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2012, 08:16:27 pm »
Has she suddenly got worse?
Has she kidded? how was she with her kids?
I think at 4 years they seem to be maturing, one of mine has just started bumping her older half sister about a bit, it used to be the other way round. She also used to try and bite me while I was milking.
Curious - What would happen with the Boers?

Shropshirelass

• Joined Jul 2012
  • South Shropshire
  • A country lass who loves it all!
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2012, 08:41:09 pm »
Does telling her off or tapping her sharply with something like a stick or your hand if she tries to bite or have a go work or you could try a water pistol maybe x

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2012, 06:44:21 am »
Frankly...... I wouldn't be waiting for the accident to happen.....next time it might not be blood drawn on another goat but yourself seen as the target.
Clearly this goat , for whatever reason,  has a problem with animals/persons who are perceived as a threat................. this can only go down hill.
Do the sensible & safe thing.........

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 10:30:51 pm »
Eat her.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2012, 06:37:57 pm »
She is still in with the little horse, they have built quite a bond up and she seems to be a much happier goat
Graham

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2012, 10:11:50 pm »
So long as she doesn't take chunks out of you.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2012, 09:24:50 am »
Since she was removed from the other goats she has shown no agression to any of us and actualy comes up to us to see if we have any treats
Graham

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2012, 05:14:42 pm »
That goat has an identity crisis.   ;D ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS