Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: strawberry wine recipe please?  (Read 6907 times)

valr

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Brightons nr Falkirk
strawberry wine recipe please?
« on: July 13, 2010, 09:10:02 pm »
Anyone? Wizard?
 :wave: :wave:

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
Re: strawberry wine recipe please?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 08:57:14 am »
Of course vair for you the top brick :D Strawberry's in my opinion are only good for making a dry wine so
3 lbs strawberry's well hulled (NO GREEN BITS LEFT ON)
2 lbs sugar
1/4 pint of freshly made strong tea
yeast and a 1 Teaspoon of nutrient and 1 Campden Tablet
and approx gallon of water

Put the hulled berry's in your pail and squidge them through your fingers until there are no whole berry's left add the cold tea then mix in 1/2 a gallon of water Crush the Campden tablet and mix it in an egg cup full of warm water (they don't mix to well in cold water) and add to the berry's.Boil all the sugar in 3 pints of water for 2 minutes and when it has cooled to blood heat add to the berry's and stir well in with the yeast and the nutrient.cover with the damp tea towel (Keep the tea towel damp all the time) Let the pulp ferment for 7 days Stir it every day and keep covered with the damp towel On the 8th day strain through a double layer of muslin into a clean sterile pail and wring out well. Put the pulp in the composter. Leave the wine in the pail to settle for a couple of hours then syphon the wine into a sterile demijohn leaving as much debris behind as you can.top up to the base of the neck of the demijohn with cooled boiled water and fit an airlock.Leave to ferment out completely when it will be a beautiful rose colour and crystal clear.Syphon into sterile wine bottles and cork Try not to disturb the thin layer of lees in the bottom of the demijohn place in a dark cupboard This wine is excellent if you like dry wine.Don't bother to make a medium or sweet wine it doesn't work well at all.

Some one asked how to make White Currant Wine Well White Currants and Red of course use the above recipe but only use 2lbs of fruits and follow the above to make a refreshing dry wine to make a medium sweet wine
use 21/2 lbs of currants - 1lb Sultanas chopped - 3 fully ripe bananas - 21/2lbs sugar Set off as above but only use 1/2 the water for a start then on the 5th day peel and squidge the bananas and cover with the other 1/2 gallon of cooled boiled water and add to the pulp in the pail stir well in and cover with the damp tea towel stir every day for 8 days Now continue as for strawberry Straining and in the demijohn and bottling.All way store in the dark if you can and all ways wait until Christmas before using.Try a bottle mid December to see what it is like then you will know which to offer to your friends.

Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Mickyork

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Yeadingham, North Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 01:58:47 pm »
Here's one from an old book I have called; Easymade wine & country drinks by Mrs Gennery-Taylor. Which cost 4 shilling new  :)
I am writing it word for word as written in the book

4lb ripe strawberries
3lb loaf sugar      (I don't have a clue what 'loaf sugar' is but I'm assuming normal everyday sugar will suffice)
1 gallon boiling water
1 lemon

Use ripe strawberries, it matters not if they are squashy. Remove the hulls & wash the strawberries to get rid of any earth or dust.
Place them in a large bowl with the juice of a lemon & pour over a gallon of boiling water. With a wooden spoon mash the strawberries & stir well,
then cover the bowl & leave for a week. Strain the juice off carefully into another bowl, don't squeeze any of the pulp through the muslin & add the 3lb of sugar. Stir until this has dissolved, then cover the bowl again then leave for 3 days, but stir daily.
Now it is ready to bottle, cork loosely & wait until there are no sizzling noises or bubbles rising before pushing the corks in tight.
Store the wine in a cool dark place & keep it at least 6 months before drinking, except of course for tasting at intervals to see if it needs more sugar.........
Live for today. Tomorrow never comes

dizzy1pig

• Joined Jan 2010
  • Leuchars, Fife
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 05:20:39 pm »
do you think i could do raspberry same way as mrs what-something???? :wave:

Mickyork

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 05:52:40 pm »
Her raspberry wine recipe.....

3 1/2 lb rasps
3 1/2 lb granulated sugar
1 gallon boiling water
1/4 oz yeast  (wine can be made without this)

Place rasps in large bowl & pour over gallon of boiling water. Stir well with wooden spoon, cover the bowl & leave for 10 days.
After 10 days strain liquid off rasps into another bowl & stir in 3 1/2 lb of sugar.
If you want the wine to age quickly add around 1/4 oz of yeast. Stir this in with the sugar. The wine will be just as successful without the yeast but will take longer to mature.
After adding the sugar & yeast, cover the bowl & leave for another 5 days. Then bottle it.
Cork loosely at first & fill up if the wine comes over the top of the bottle. The wine will be ready in six months with yeast & nine without.

Hope this helps  :) :)

dizzy1pig

• Joined Jan 2010
  • Leuchars, Fife
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 07:40:42 pm »
cheers for that i have 6 lb of rasps picked yesterday
and not into jam, made rasp n lime
 :wave:

Mickyork

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 07:57:18 pm »
Can't guarantee if the recipes are any good. It's an old book but should be ok :) :) :)  Will be testing a few myself :) :) 

dizzy1pig

• Joined Jan 2010
  • Leuchars, Fife
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 08:30:37 pm »
have managed to secure myself a copy.
many thanks.. will advise how it all goes
 :P hopefully

Mickyork

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2010, 08:34:06 pm »
Some cracking recipes in the book  :yum: :yum: :yum:  I am gonna be experimenting soon  8) 8)  keep me informed as to how you get on please

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2010, 09:25:32 am »
Have you read the first reply to Val's request Mick agen only my opinion :D :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Mickyork

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2010, 01:21:17 pm »
Read em all Wiz.  8)  Not on the ball today.....  Explain please   ;) ;) ;)

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2010, 03:17:55 pm »
Hello Mick am back This started as a Val asking for a wine recipe to which I replied in my usual manner :D :farmer:

Mickyork

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2010, 05:18:47 pm »
All seems fine to me Mr Wiz   8) 8) 8) 8)

valr

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Brightons nr Falkirk
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2010, 09:36:05 pm »
Thanks guys! Will give that a go this weekend. Will need to go to onew of those "pick your own" places as my crop is rubbish this year ... :(

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS