Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: I cannot believe it!  (Read 10857 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: I cannot believe it!
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2013, 07:25:06 pm »
We currently have a Flat coated retriever ..... hyper and as silly as they come but we love him. Did consider another but checked on current findings regarding cancer in the breed because we believe a problem exists. Can't remember exact figures but it was something like half would have cancer by 8 years of age and most die from it.  :o :'(  Won't go into all the ones that I know have died from it .... some only 12 mnths old. Found a blog by a lady that was only going to keep rescue ones in future. She thought that breeders weren't addressing a serious health problem and that maybe flatties should be out crossed. Put us off.  :(
Yes, absolutely correct - a friend of mine has just lost her FC bitch at 7 from cancer - it is prevalent in the breed and they just seem to accept it.
Sheepcrazy -
My pet hate though is pet animals not being neutered or spayed if your not going to breed.
Absolutely 100% with you.  Far too many dog being bred, far too many healthy ones being destroyed for no other reason than they can't find new homes quickly enough.  If you don't have a good enough or fully health tested dog, don't breed - why do you need to anyway - money!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: I cannot believe it!
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2013, 09:53:25 pm »
Doganjo - send your friend my love  :bouquet: . They are dogs with such a love of life ..... it is so sad.  :'(  I had my first flattie as a teenager ..... he was my dog to show and work. Lost at 7 to liver cancer. His brother went at 8. Sister lost a bitch at 18 months. Most of that litter died before 8 from cancer of one sort or another. The breeder of my current lad lost his uncle at 7 years. I could go on ......  :'( . Dad moved to working labradors so I am a bit out of touch with things now. Why isn't anything being done I wonder  ???  .... surely better to do some careful outcrossing than let things carry on.

Did have some Flatties make 14 ....  :fc:  for my lad. Will break our hearts to lose him.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS