Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: solid fuel - Rayburn  (Read 2635 times)

Jim42

• Joined Jun 2022
solid fuel - Rayburn
« on: June 01, 2022, 11:10:39 am »
Hi.  Have read some interesting posts on here re Rayburns. So hoping somebody may be able to help :D

I have a Rayburn 355SFW that I have been operating for years using Phenacite and wood successfully.  Now to be told by my local merchant they are no longer going to stock it :( I have been researching alternatives but am bambozzled by the number of ovids available.

Is any body able to tell me what works well for them on a Rayburn 355SFW.

PipKelpy

• Joined Mar 2019
  • North Shropshire
  • Dreamer with sheep.
Re: solid fuel - Rayburn
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2022, 03:24:37 pm »
I don't have a Rayburn, but I have a couple of MF stoves, one being a MK2 little Wenlock.

Before they screwed with the mix, she ran well on Maxibrite. She also likes Phurnacite (I have couple of tonne in stock for emergencies! Mum isn't allowed to touch it, she shovels it On as if it grows on trees!).

My coalman a couple of yrs ago recommended Multiheat and I've used that quite satisfactory by itself AND with wood. Coalman also says that there is a difference between heat rolled & cold cured. I look at the DEFRA smoke control site for suitable fuels, got paranoid actually comparing the ingredients and the %'s of different mixes!

Dad has a Deville boiler cooker and uses Burnwell Blend but DOESN'T like the new mix. He does however like Union nuggets as they don't clinker. There are certain fuels that yes, they belt out the heat, to me they are too high in the PetCoke!
No matter how crap you feel, always remember you're one of the lucky ones with your own piece of land and loony sheep!

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2022, 09:41:53 pm »
Interesting! We found that 'burnwell'..... er, didn't!

We now get what the coalman calls "red", but I can't find anything about it online. Can you get a few sacks of each option to try, before committing to a tonne?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

silkwoodzwartbles

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2022, 07:38:57 pm »
My husband is a coal merchant so I showed him this post - he says Union briquettes are good but don't last very long. He stocks Oxbow products and recommends the Oxbow Red for use on a Rayburn - we have a lot of customers using this product and it's very popular.

https://www.fpritchardcoalmerchants.co.uk/products

Jim42

• Joined Jun 2022
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2022, 09:30:19 pm »
Thanks for the info.

It was good to know i'm not the only one that was a little overwhelmed by the number of ovid fuel options and advice based on experience is always better i think.

Thanks

philcaegrug

• Joined Jul 2012
  • ammanford
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2022, 07:25:35 pm »
what does your husband think of the increase in prices and is he managing to get stock in? I'm a merchant in South Wales and anthracite is in very short supply at the moment.

silkwoodzwartbles

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2022, 08:01:29 pm »
He's horrified by the increase in prices and getting loads in is tricky as the drivers only want to come to us if they have a load to take back the other way due to the increased fuel costs. The yard is pretty full at the moment but we've not received all of the orders that we've placed.

philcaegrug

• Joined Jul 2012
  • ammanford
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2022, 07:31:13 pm »
We have a local yard 10 minutes away but he is struggling to get bulk loads in. If we go direct to the mine it is a 60 mile round journey and 1 1/2 hours travelling. So far this year there have been 5 price increases. We have been told to warn our customers there will be a shortage this winter and definitely another price increase in October when the cap is raised.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS