Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Transport  (Read 3080 times)

st425

• Joined Jan 2021
Transport
« on: February 06, 2022, 09:57:47 am »
Hi

I am wondering if the transport legislation applies if a friend (for no financial gain) is moving a cow for me from Shropshire to Scotland?

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Transport
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2022, 02:36:59 pm »
If you are referring to the Type 1 and 2 authorisations then as this isn't part of a business then they wouldn't need one. If they are selling you the cow then one could argue that they have in fact had a financial gain but they are unlikely to be challenged on the journey unless they are unlucky enough to caught in an accident or a Vosa stop and check.

They will need to travel with the hauliers section of the movement licence and keep that in their records.

How long is the journey?

st425

• Joined Jan 2021
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2022, 06:25:59 pm »
If you are referring to the Type 1 and 2 authorisations
- yes I was, thank you.

The journey is roughly 550 miles

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2022, 02:11:13 pm »
And I am pretty sure there must be two people travelling if unlicensed hauliers are taking livestock that distance, whether for business or not.  The regs about rest stops and so on apply whether you are licensed or not. 

All from my memory, best to check the exact wording on the Defra website. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS