Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lambs being thrifty  (Read 12562 times)

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Lambs being thrifty
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2023, 10:30:52 am »
Just be aware that now you have coccl confirmed you may have to treat every year to stop it early , just a quick dose with an expensive product .  It might be good to get poo samples from your other lambs for a FEC just to check

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2023, 11:49:16 am »
When we had cocci on the land, the vet recommended not treating too early each year but said it was a fine judgement call as it can kill swiftly.  Now I think about it, I wonder whether grazing with a non-susceptible animal would clear the field and be a better option.  Thoughts anyone?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2023, 12:17:46 pm »
If you can take that pasture out of the grazing rotation for that species it will massively help, but in practical terms that can be very difficult. My land is quite heavy for cocci now as the lambs graze same fields every year, so we control it with a minutes of buckets and strategic drenching when the lambs get overwhelmed.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2023, 12:39:57 pm »
While grazing with adult cattle / horses would help if the sheep could be excluded from the ground , probably not practical for most smallholders  , adult sheep while not susceptible can be infected and not show symptoms but can spread coccl on the ground  , cocci are very tough and can over winter either inside or outside . Taking land out of grazing for hay for a couple of years would help but again not practical for most smallholders

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2023, 03:12:40 pm »
good to know, thanks shep.  We have cattle and ponies so it is practical for us, and we do operate a rather loose rotation.  I will start to make more sure that we don't put lambs on anywhere that wasn't last grazed by other-than-sheep, or cropped for hay.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SavageU

• Joined May 2023
« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2023, 10:10:58 pm »
We can’t currently as just two fields, maybe next year.

I think honestly he’s just been unlucky. Everyone else is fine but he has been very unwell.

Had another look at him and he’s still passing water almost but his tail end doesn’t look as wet as it did 2 days ago.

Left him out today as bright and light but want him inside for a few days with some hay to see if that helps.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2023, 12:25:10 pm »
Cocci can cause permanent damage to the gut lining, so he may well be best to fatten and put in the freezer as soon as he’s ready. The others in the group will likely need treating for it too, so I would look into getting that done.

SavageU

• Joined May 2023
« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2023, 06:30:04 pm »
Thanks.

He’s doing fine, thankfully. The other ewe with h isn’t though.

Dog attack last week her jaw ripped. She can’t chew very well, puncture wounds.

I’m now not even worried about him, it’s her.

Sheep, honestly.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2023, 07:17:30 pm »
If she can’t eat then the kindest thing may be to put her down.

SavageU

• Joined May 2023
« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2023, 09:30:31 am »
She’s trying, that’s the worst thing.

She looks like she’s had numbing agent and her tongue can’t manage the grass. Fine with coarse grain though.

I’m going to have another look at her as I can’t have her wasting away in front of me.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2023, 12:11:01 pm »
Get the vet to look at her, they can advise if she is likely to recover or not, and put her down if needed. Don’t leave it the weekend. 

SavageU

• Joined May 2023
« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2023, 05:20:17 pm »
Had a look at her today, eating grass fine so put her out and she’s grazing almost as fast as she was pre attack.

Let them out for 4 hours to graze and back inside. I’m happy with her eating. No swelling, it just obviously took a day or three.

Regards Cocci lamb. He has put a bit of weight on now and is looking better. He’s still only small though, would you just wait until he’s fat enough?

Not sure I can eat him or part with him. Will he likely just be prone to being ill a lot because of burden?

Incidentally the vets have offered no advice on the land for cocci at all. Nothing. Just the meds and off you go!

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #57 on: October 27, 2023, 06:02:16 pm »
Cocci is a difficult one to manage just on grazing alone- once it’s on your ground you’re likely to have problems unless you move them onto completely clean (never grazed by sheep) pasture every year.

Our fields have a build up of cocci, it’s manageable but I am really on it with egg counts and scouring lambs. A mix of drenches and medicated buckets seems to keep lambs going in the right direction

Your lamb could have internal gut damage if the cocci was very bad, so he may have scour and struggle with digestion. Guess it’s a case of see how he goes.

SavageU

• Joined May 2023
« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2023, 07:52:46 pm »
Ironically, prior to the sheep coming on....the land had never been grazed by sheep.

SavageU

• Joined May 2023
« Reply #59 on: November 10, 2023, 07:22:39 pm »
Just to update.

He is doing well and has put on some chunkiness and looks much better.

The question is, do I keep him. And if not, why not? Further issues likely?

He's 1 of only 3 boys (I keep 2 as company for my tup).

Don't fancy eating him tbh. I'd rather pick the larger fatter lamb I am less attached to.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS