Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Elderflower Champagne  (Read 4240 times)

Chrisw

• Joined May 2011
Elderflower Champagne
« on: June 29, 2011, 10:47:03 pm »
I am thinking of making champagne and was wondering what time of day it is best to pick them and if you have any recipes, i would be very grateful
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 10:48:35 pm by Chrisw »

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
Re: Elderflower Champagne
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 02:42:18 pm »
I've always used Hugh's recipe here

http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipes/chefs/hugh-fearnley-whittingstall/elderflower-champagne-recipe

but I don't add the yeast.  It is very lively on its own, and much improved after keeping for a lot longer than they say!  (I am still drinking last years)  It's a bit late for elderflowers isn't it?  Well they are long gone here anyways.

Chrisw

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 11:34:11 am »
I am up north in scotland and some are still flowering

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 07:28:28 am »
I am thinking of making champagne and was wondering what time of day it is best to pick them and if you have any recipes, i would be very grateful

I read somewhere a long time ago that it's best to pick them when they are in full flower, in full sun, in the middle of the day. Something about there being more pollen and therefore flavour?

Not sure how true this is, but we've always observed it and had fab cordial from the flowers!  :D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS