Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Old pipe - connector needed  (Read 3667 times)

jaffab

• Joined Sep 2019
Old pipe - connector needed
« on: April 24, 2022, 05:55:55 pm »
Hi all,

There is some old potable water in pipe on our land - the wife has just dug through it and I need a connector to fix the break.

The problem is, I suspect the pipe is old, and its not something I have seen before... so details...

Its black plastic
External diameter (pipe thickness) is spot on 20mm
Internal diameter (the thickness of the inner hole) is 10mm
So the pipe wall thickness is 5mm

Anybody have any idea what this pipe is, and where I can find a connector for it?

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: Old pipe - connector needed
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2022, 06:52:36 pm »
Black plastic (polyethylene) is from the 80's, so the first replacement for the old lead pipe, but ours was 25mm 'ish, so the old 1". I suggest a trip to a good plumbing supply company who may have a solution and they should be able to sort you out, one way or another. The norm now is a thinner wall with an insert to support the pipe when a compression fitting is used. 20mm in the UK is a new one on me as the normal size would be 22mm.

It's 20mm here in France, but the inner diameter is 16mm and an insert is sometimes built into the fittings, because the pressure is a whopping 10bar. So you could get a 20mm connector, without inserts, from France if necessary?

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2022, 09:05:50 pm »
They do make imperial to metric adaptors for mdpe (alkathene) pipes but if it's 20mm OD i suspect it is a metric pipe anyway. I have used standard indoor plumbing 22mm pushfit joints on imperial alkathene pipe qas it was about 22mm - and that was at 9 bar static pressure.

Bywaters

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2022, 09:10:21 pm »
Not too sure where you are, but if you contact your local agri place they should be able to assist, otherwise. contact my brother at PFS Helston and he will sort  you with a plasson / polypipe type connector to repair it

https://www.facebook.com/PFSHelston/

01326 565454 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS