Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Poultry lighting  (Read 1587 times)

Russpig

• Joined Aug 2017
Poultry lighting
« on: December 10, 2023, 04:44:07 pm »
I have no power running to poultry house.

What’s the best way to add extra light during the winter nights for egg production?
Rechargeable battery lights?
If so what ones would people suggest etc

Or any other ideas welcomed

Thanks
Russ

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: Poultry lighting
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2023, 06:10:09 pm »
We had our light on a 12V timer with a battery- you might need two batteries so one can be charged or you may be able to charge a small one during the day. The light came on in the morning. At night they were allowed to go to roost naturally, so could find their perch as it became darker. Big problem was the mess. They need food and water as soon as they wake and that means a lot of moving about and scratching at bedding, churning it into a poo filled stinky pile and throwing it into the feeder and drinker. so a lot of cleaning up every day and in the end we decided the extra eggs were not worth the effort. They need time off laying anyway- at least two weeks.

If you don't provide food and water during the extra daylight they will not lay because they need the extra time you provide to eat and digest sufficient food to keep warm and lay eggs.

Just use some 12V LED caravan lights.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2023, 10:29:01 pm »
Get a solar panel to keep your battery charged up. Much easier than carting a heavy battery about to charge it. I get them off Ebay (for my electric fencing battery) for @£30 for a decent one.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Richmond

• Joined Sep 2020
  • Norfolk
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2023, 09:08:54 am »
Tbh I would just let them rest. It's better for them. They will gradually build up their calcium reserves and will naturally come back into lay a short while after the winter solstice has passed. They are hyper aware of daylight length changes and will respond accordingly. If you need eggs year round then purchase a few POL pullets each August or September which will then lay through the winter. Or keep ducks as they lay all year round!  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS