Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Water  (Read 2663 times)

GeorgeandPepper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • Notts
Water
« on: June 06, 2013, 07:53:34 pm »
Well as you can tell, I am very new to this game and seem to now be in the naughty teenager stage :)  :pig:

We have two big water pools and two water bowls which the past couple of days we fill up and then find they are empty/muddy and struggling to find a solution that means they have fresh water all day long...I am a little worried that they will drink out of the bigger vats if they get dirty but once they have been digging around everything is dirty...is it just a constant battle?

I probably sound like a right newbie and all the experts are sighing haha - just want to make sure that they have a good supply of water that they don't mess around with!

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: Water
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 08:53:13 pm »
You could try one of these https://www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk/tyre-bowl-feeder-drinker-p-1276.html
 As you know they must have water at all times.
 I clean out the water troughs every day and refill during the day if required. You will never have mud free water containers with pigs!!  Were you able to make them a wallow? it may be that they are trying to make one.
Labradors leave foot prints on your heart as well as your clothes

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 10:15:04 pm »
We got a 10 gallon drum, put a tap at base with hose attached to a automatic drinker. This works well and you just need to scoop out the mud if it builds up.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 10:55:44 pm »
Sounds such a familiar tale ... my KKs used to be horrors for tipping their water over to make a wallow - too lazy to go down the woods to the stream  ::)

We tried using small drinkers attached to barrels, but the bigger sows learnt to tip the barrels over, so we're back to tyres in buckets again.  Though my young KKs frequently climb into the buckets & make them muddy anyway  ???

Thinking of investing in a roller-type trough - just need to make sure the supply pipe is "pig-proof".
 :love: :pig: :love:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 09:12:10 am »
You could try one of these https://www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk/tyre-bowl-feeder-drinker-p-1276.html
 As you know they must have water at all times.
 I clean out the water troughs every day and refill during the day if required. You will never have mud free water containers with pigs!!  Were you able to make them a wallow? it may be that they are trying to make one.
Ditto ours never have clean water they always stand in it or tip it out, a constant battle in hot weather, heyho thats pigs. ;D
mandy :pig:

nicandem

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Berkeley, Glos
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 09:57:10 am »
some mud in water doesn't do any harm... if you saw the colour of water that I have drunk on survival exercises etc let alone the piggies :o
as long as its fresh and not allowed to stand long enough to build up bacteria its fine

gavin davies

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 10:51:06 pm »
i had the same problem and the on thing that has worked is puting two pallets together and secuiring a sheet of 8x4 timber on the top so there is a solid base and i have srewed 3 buckets to the timber and through to to pallet not had any tips for a while now so they allways have water

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS