Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: please help how to get sick piglet to eat  (Read 2971 times)

kbomgte

• Joined Jun 2010
please help how to get sick piglet to eat
« on: October 11, 2010, 07:00:34 pm »
have sick piglet since last week. now today wont eat anything for me. goes in to his house at feeding time and wont drink . tried to give him glucose.  also tried baby formula. took small sips yesterday of this but not today.  any ideas on how to get him to eat . will trying anything. thank you.

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
Re: please help how to get sick piglet to eat
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 08:20:48 pm »
Is he weaned or still with his mother? If up to four weeks old, could be anaemic. Do you inject with iron? Are the piglets outdoors.
Is he scouring? (i.e. does he have the runs?) Are or have any of the others in the litter been like this?
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 08:38:50 pm »
An animal that isn't eating or drinking is a serious problem....and one which could be short lived. Get the vet 'round asap (a piggie vet if at all possible). If no vet available then a broad based antibiotic (intramuscular), and x your fingers.

kbomgte

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 09:09:05 pm »
he is still with mother.5 weeks old. did not get iron. none of the rest are affected.outdoors yesterday. no runs never had runs.been at vet got scan can see nothing .got long acting antibiotic.  all we can think of now is he is constipated.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 08:52:14 am »
Try tiny bits of banana.  Can you syring warm water and honey into his mouth?  My friend swears by Marmite on the tongue to encourage them to eat.  (Not sure about that one).

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 10:40:44 am »
Just a thought, I know the vet's checked him, but how's his mouth and teeth ?
There could be a problem there which is preventing him eating - cleft pallet, broken or missing teeth - it's be worth having a look, just to rule it out.
HTH
Karen

kbomgte

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 11:45:44 am »
thanks will try these things and see on we get a long. hes out running about the field with the rest of them today hope thats a good sign.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS