Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help! Sheep Hurdles desperately wanted!!!  (Read 8224 times)

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
Help! Sheep Hurdles desperately wanted!!!
« on: March 07, 2013, 09:27:35 am »
We ordered some hurdles through what looked like a reputable company on the web, transfered our money to their bank account and were assured that the hurdles would be delivered last Saturday.  Needless to say, they have not arrived and the person we ordered from is not returning phone calls or emails, although she managed to return an email from another enquirer (me in disguise) within 20 minutes!  We are currently talking to Trading Standards about what to do next regarding recovering our money and may have to consider the small claims court.
The problem is, we need the hurdles urgently to build temporary lambing pens.  We are a small group and do not have a lot of spare cash (especially when people rip us off!) so, does anyone in south Worcestershire have any spare hurdles that they could lend us please?  or some that we could buy at a reasonable price?  thanks

Hassle

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Lincolnshire
Re: Help! Sheep Hurdles desperately wanted!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 09:38:36 am »
Phone your bank as well, admittedly you have stated you transferred but they might take pity, and see if the money can be recalled.

Sorry cant help with hurdles though

littlelugs

• Joined Aug 2011
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 10:20:08 am »
Just a thought, have you thought about collecting pallets? This is what we use in emergencys and they can be collected free from most industrial estates. With a bit of work the can also be made into all sorts of useful things. Hope this helps a little. Sorry to hear you were ripped off, and i hope you recover your money.  :fc:

Blackbird

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 10:50:06 am »
Sorry you were ripped off :fc: you get your money back. Agree with littlelugs that it's amazing what you can put together with pallets and baler twine. Depending on how much you can spend to buy some hurdles, Countrywide have some in our local branch for around £20 each - there's a branch in Gloucester I believe. Otherwise, they sometimes come up on Preloved, but I appreciate you need them quick. Hope you get sorted.
Where are we going - and why am I in this handcart?

wellies

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shrewsbury
    • Fairfax Ryeland Flock
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 11:11:51 am »
I can't believe the cheek of some people, I'm angry for you  :rant: We ordered ours off a company on ebay and they were really helpful and alot cheaper than other places. Did you pay through the bank or through paypal. With Paypal I think you can recall the money quite easily. The company we used are based in S-O-T I think but delivered them to us and we paid on delivery. Really lovely people. We also often use pallets for lots of things and they would be a really good option for you as an alternative. I really hope your hurdles get sorted  :fc:   

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 12:01:26 pm »
Thanks for the sympathy.  We have used pallets/baler twine in the past and this is what we will resort to if no hurdles are available, but I always worry that something will fall over or get caught in the twine if we dont use the proper stuff!  Unfortunately, we transferred the money direct into their account.  Will get my OH to contact the bank when he gets home to see if they can help.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 01:02:37 pm »
If you have to resort to pallets try to have something really solid, like breeze blocks, on each side of every other pen, for stability. 

littlelugs

• Joined Aug 2011
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 01:35:23 pm »
I always cut my pallets in half through the blocks to seperate each half (so you have two full size sections) so its lighter then tie the baler twine to one wall, using the wall for stability then run the rest of them off that, I also put a couple of house bricks every metre or so to help. I have in the past used fencing posts (tree steaks) through the whole pallets for strength and also some vertically to the rafters, however we are lucky in that our sheds are pretty low roofed.

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 01:58:27 pm »
We've run out of hurdles too and are using pallets with great success at least you can burn them in the fire afterwards! my hubby cuts them in half and they make really good tempoary pens

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 02:16:12 pm »
When are you lambing? If it stays mild you could lamb outside. I've lambed in worse weather than we have at the moment.

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 02:48:46 pm »
Cutting the pallets in half is a great idea.  We're due to lamb anytime from 18th March but a couple of them look fit to pop any moment (or they're expecting quads!  I do hope not).  They lamb outside but we bring them in for bonding.  Just hope the rain stops.

toaster

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2013, 04:01:55 pm »
See if you can get hold of some pallet lids, these are effectively just to top part of a pallet, no blocks and no sawing required

Local industrial estates would be a good bet, they usually hold on to pallets but the lids are normally binned

I have a load, they look like little wooden hurdles - very useful. I join mine with cable ties

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2013, 04:52:54 pm »
I've just heard that we can have some pallets from a local engineering company.  So that solves the problem for the moment.  Now we just have to get our money back!

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2013, 10:40:22 pm »
What buggers to leave you high and dry at such a crucial time. Pallets are a great standby though. Glad you've sourced some.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2013, 01:31:28 am »
perhaps you could name them (or at last the town, area code?) so our friends on TAS don't get caught the same way?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS