Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Toggenburgs  (Read 4976 times)

widget

• Joined Feb 2013
Toggenburgs
« on: December 12, 2013, 05:42:57 pm »
Well in response to my wethers lonely hearts advert I've been offered a toggeneburg nanny. Only had saanans before so what do I need to know? And are they quite easy to keep? Any nice toggenburg billies in North Wales/Cheshire/Shropshire? For next year.
Glass of baileys for anyone with advice : )

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: Toggenburgs
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 06:23:23 pm »
ooh, Baileys - choc & mint is my favourite  ;)

Toggies are lovely, ours is sooo docile (for a goat!) and has had stunning kids,
loads of milk - lovely tasting & creamy

hth

Little Blue

widget

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 06:38:49 pm »
Baileys for you! I haven't tried the mint one

I just hope she's good company for our boy and maybe has some kids we don't milk as work full time as well and difficult to manage. Are they quite hardy?

Can't wait she arrives Saturday!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 09:58:43 pm »
Next to Sanaans, Togs would be my breed of choice.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 10:26:26 pm »
I prefer British Toggs to Sanaans . Ours are very friendly, easy to look after good milkers but total wimps if the weather is not good  ::)
Graham

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 08:11:56 am »
Widget................go on 'Goaty Friends' on facebook...................There is a list of males at Stud, from memory I am sure there is a boy in your neck of the woods.
If you put a request for details on Goaty friends..............somebody will certainly alert you to the whereabouts of one.   
This breed is endangered at present time due to very low numbers so any pure Togg stud owner will only too willing to assist.

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 10:56:52 am »
Are we talking  Pure Tog or British Tog, BT's are the naughtiest, will jump out , break out at the drop of a hat, electric fence- no problem - jump 5ft high from a standing start. good mums , good milkers nice and creamy. Pure togs have the more docile nature - just don't get between one and it's food .
We have a Pure Tog Billy , and are between Knighton and LLandrindod Wells.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2013, 11:05:12 am »
I probably have the dopey kind of BT's then... mine haven't broken out, respect the electrical fence and are  very affectionate. BT's are good milkers, creaminess depends a bit on the actual line - I have high butterfat milkers and one not so good. But you can improve the butterfat content by using males from proven high-butterfat lines.

From what I have seen pure Toggs have in recent times not produced really good milkers, but it will depend on your need and if you are breeding you may be able to work on that.

If it is a pure Togg - unless she is registered with the BGS breeding along pure Togg lines will not necessarily be of any value if you are only after milk.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2013, 11:45:10 am »
It was a pure Togg (willowbank Avocet) that started my soap making business (along side myself of course  :) )  we have 2 pure toggs, a Togg type X breed and  a saanen,   I love toggs!!
My current pure togg nanny, Puffin, never breaks out, is easy to lead, straight forward kidding and good milker. 
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

widget

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2013, 03:41:34 pm »
well she arrived a day early!  :excited:

no idea which type of Tog she is or how to post a picture on here off an ipad (well at all really!)  ??? ??? ???

she seems really big compared to our saanan and much longer too! seems quite docile though  :)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2013, 04:33:12 pm »
If you give me her ear tag number I can check if she is registered with the BGS.

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2013, 04:33:42 pm »
Was just going to say the same thing !!!!!

kja

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2013, 09:33:52 pm »
Are we talking  Pure Tog or British Tog, BT's are the naughtiest, will jump out , break out at the drop of a hat, electric fence- no problem - jump 5ft high from a standing start. good mums , good milkers nice and creamy.

my parents BT's are the most docile goats you could ever meet the only fencing that keeps them in is a 3 rail fence. would second the good mothers and milk though  :thumbsup:
we can still learn if we are willing to listen.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2013, 09:47:40 pm »
Our BTs are the most placid well behaved Goats we have, they only have post and rail fencing and they never get out, even when they want in even though they could squeeze through the rails they just stand at the gate shouting
Graham

Mays

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2013, 08:44:46 pm »
I have BTs and they don't jump, nor are they naughty, very docile and easy to milk  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS