Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Apples a week prior to slaughter..  (Read 2859 times)

greedyasapig

• Joined Nov 2012
Apples a week prior to slaughter..
« on: January 13, 2013, 04:56:54 pm »
Hi all,
i have about 100 apples and 20 pears and was wondering if the taste of the porc would be any different if this was given to my pig all in the last week prior to slaughter ? ..Any experirnces out there..She gets about 40 apples a week now and has done for the  last 2 months.
Cheers GAAP.

HappyHippy

Re: Apples a week prior to slaughter..
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 05:06:37 pm »
The meat will be tender and juicy since she's been getting them already :thumbsup: I'd be wary of upping the quantity too much or too suddenly (the last thing you want is to give her the runs  :D) but a few more will be fine and she'll love the pears too.

When we sent our first two pigs off I thought I'd be nice to them and make their last breakfast and dinner the day before just an apple feast (way back in the beginning before I knew better ::) ;)) they didn't scour, but they were super hungry (genius here didn't think to give them any pig nuts  :dunce:) and when we went to load them in the morning they'd broken out their field and into the feed store  :o Didn't go down well at the abattoir  :innocent: (they like them to have empty stomaches at mine  ;)) but you live and learn  :thumbsup:

greedyasapig

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 05:11:56 pm »
Hi ya ,
Thanks for the reply, thought it may make a difference sweet wise. i will up her intake a bit more instead of all at once ,im hoping she will taste well as i recon about 60kg of apples will have been scoffed by end January..

thenovice

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 05:54:35 pm »
I always thought it was an old wives tale, about pigs fed on apples affecting the pork, but the last couple of weaners we did were given quite a apples in their grub, and the meat did smell of apple when it was roasted. And there was a definate hint of apple to the taste! I was proved wrong  :dunce: . Dont know about Quantity of fruit, but best of luck  :thumbsup:

greedyasapig

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 06:43:47 pm »
Great reply mmmm...all is looking well for some tasty pork. :excited:

Hassle

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 10:42:38 am »
I always thought it was an old wives tale, about pigs fed on apples affecting the pork, but the last couple of weaners we did were given quite a apples in their grub, and the meat did smell of apple when it was roasted. And there was a definate hint of apple to the taste! I was proved wrong  :dunce: . Dont know about Quantity of fruit, but best of luck  :thumbsup:

It's true! a friend of mine who runs an abattoir bought fattener cattle from one farm and didn't know they had onion as supplement with there feed, had to store in a separate cold store due to the smell and he said most of it went straight to pies (Steak and Onion)  :roflanim:

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 10:51:01 am »
 :roflanim: LOve story HH! Naughty little snorkels.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 11:45:02 am »
Absolutely agree  :thumbsup:   The meat of the pig of ours that had a lot of apples in the months before slaughter always has sufficient of an appley taste that I don't bother making apple sauce with her meat.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS