Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: First pig adventure  (Read 5803 times)

SophieYorkshire

• Joined Sep 2015
Re: First pig adventure
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2016, 09:52:24 am »
im up on the moors in west yorkshire...bronte country

So, if there's anyone nearby that would be nice and handy??

Im in Leeds but keeping Large Whites at the mo so not what you want. Based on where you are I'd use Aire Valley or Ogdens vets if I were you. Lots of choice of abattoirs too - but check they'll do the meat how you want it before the pigs go in! :)

Proper fencing is necessary, and worth it in the long run. I'd also be wary of pallets as a shelter - pigs love to chew wood, especially soft wood, and you run the risk of them destructing it and then standing on nails (I speak from experience of nails in piggy feet!  :D)

ricardodba

• Joined Apr 2015
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2016, 02:04:53 pm »
Just received my CPH number...

...so, does this now mean im 'legally' allowed to keep pigs and other livestock?

The letter states along with other stuff that i need to register with APHA if i intend to keep any livestock.

Thanks.

SophieYorkshire

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2016, 02:48:56 pm »
Just received my CPH number...

...so, does this now mean im 'legally' allowed to keep pigs and other livestock?

The letter states along with other stuff that i need to register with APHA if i intend to keep any livestock.

Thanks.

Yes you can go get your pigs now. When you arrive back home with them you need to ring animal health to get a herd number from them, once you have this you need to go on eaml2 (within 3 days of pigs arriving on your land) and accept the movement.

Same thing with other livestock, but instead of eaml2 its Arams (sheep/goats) or BCMS (cattle)

Good luck  :)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2016, 02:59:34 pm »
To keep sheep you'll also need a flock number, which is entirely different from your herd no.

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2016, 03:30:05 pm »
I have had 3 sets of pigs and found them all locally on the facebook groups. I wouldn't go for more than 2 to begin with, it is amazing how much meat you get and I am still regretting being talked into 3 last summer (after we had 2 in the spring) as there is sooooo much, but it is yummy.  ;D
________
Caroline

IretonsFarm

• Joined Aug 2015
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2016, 11:10:17 am »
I'd get your herd number first but tell them you are picking the animals up the next day so they don't drag their heels.

You need a number (flock or herd) for each species you want to keep (pigs, goats, sheep, cattle), although there are exceptions with poultry where I think you don't need one until you have hundreds or maybe even thousands of birds.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2016, 11:25:14 am »
Maybe pigs are different but why do you need your own herd number so urgently?
Isn't CPH the one needed for movement, your own herd number isn't as urgent? And not really used until breeding. Don't shout at me, i know one will be needed but i can't think of when I use mine except when tagging.

SophieYorkshire

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2016, 11:45:40 am »
Maybe pigs are different but why do you need your own herd number so urgently?
Isn't CPH the one needed for movement, your own herd number isn't as urgent? And not really used until breeding. Don't shout at me, i know one will be needed but i can't think of when I use mine except when tagging.

You don't need a herd number urgently - infact our local animal health will not give you one until you get your first stock back onto your land.

CPH/Postcode/Address etc. are all more than sufficient to complete a movement :)

Herd numbers are also used for sending your pigs for slaughter - be it a slap mark or tag. Pedigrees use HDLs for breeding (not sure if the same for kunes). Herd numbers should also be used for sending pigs to mart IMO but that's a separate argument  :D

ricardodba

• Joined Apr 2015
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2016, 12:50:41 pm »
sounds like CPH is enough for now  :excited:

i have no intention on breeding and my pigs will only go to slaughter for my personal consumption once ready...i..e not to market or for sale.

i'm now re-thinking the wooden pallet ark idea.
Thing is, the 'proper' arks are so expensive!

Does anyone local have an old ark for sale?

HappyHippy

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2016, 01:05:54 pm »
Look out for an old plastic oil tank - these make great arcs for porkers/kunekune  :thumbsup:
There's a green plastic model with straight sides and a curved shape - that's the best one to go for  ;) Cut a hole in one end for a door (about 2ft wide and 2.5ft high and leave a lip of 2-3inches at the bottom to keep water out) and drill some 10mm holes in the opposite end to provide ventilation, you'll need to wash it out several times with plenty fairy liquid and hot water to move the oil residue and cap the pipe openings on top (we use a roof slate with a stone on top).
Once finished you have a green plastic arc, with a floor attached which is super easy to roll to a new position. You can usually find the tanks on eBay, gumtree, local ads.
Good luck with the pigs  :)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2016, 01:21:55 pm »
There is another good thread on oil tank pig shelters started by Womble

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS