Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Storm  (Read 24391 times)

luckylady

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Yorkshire
Re: Storm
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2013, 03:57:13 pm »
Just driving home when a broken telephone wire whipped the car windscreen  :o . Once I had got out of the way and swallowed my heart back down I phoned BT to let them know, also local police as that little country road is now dangerous to travel down.  I was lucky, someone else may not be.  When I drove past the village cricket ground their nets had travelled from one side of the ground to the other and toppled over an adjoining fence into a corner of a field with sheep.  Thankfully there was someone there anchoring it down to the said fence with rope otherwise one more gust and it would have been on the road.  Sheep were all safely at the other side of the field. 
On a personal front, the only damage so far is the loss of a laburnum tree.  Although a shame to lose a beautiful tree it is quite a relief as I will no longer have to worry about it poisoning any paddock/pen/run escapees.
Hope everyone stays safe.  :fc:
Doing that swan thing - cool and calm on the surface but paddling like crazy beneath.

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2013, 03:58:03 pm »
Hope no one has been too badly affected.

Do you remember all the hype a few weeks ago when a storm was forecast along the south coast; it was pretty much going to be the end of the world according to the media.

This time because the storm was 'up north' it wasn't originally receiving that much media attention - now that the sea is starting to threaten the east coast of England; guess what? The media is starting to get more excited.

Me cynical about the media being London/south east centric? Never.

Garmoran

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Lochaber, Highland
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2013, 03:59:38 pm »
No damage here either, although the seashore car park and the main road near Mallaig were covered in stones first thing.

Wind was a bit more northerly than usual, I think, because the big aspen in the field in front hasn't lost any branches for once. I get the impression it was much worse further south.

No electricity since 4am though, so no schools and no shops. Still, nothing memorable, unlike 8 December 2011...

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2013, 04:16:20 pm »
Hope no one has been too badly affected.

Do you remember all the hype a few weeks ago when a storm was forecast along the south coast; it was pretty much going to be the end of the world according to the media.

This time because the storm was 'up north' it wasn't originally receiving that much media attention - now that the sea is starting to threaten the east coast of England; guess what? The media is starting to get more excited.

Me cynical about the media being London/south east centric? Never.

agree totally. The Metoffice had predicted us getting 100mph gusts at 9am this morning yesterday morning. The News said it would be 'windy', it was almost ignored on National news and it wasn't taken seriously until they saw the damage and saw it was on its way down. in fact on the BBC this morning, someone actually said 'Scotland always has bad weather, why is this news'! well, maybe we don't wet ourselves at 50mph winds up here but last night was something else.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2013, 05:32:48 pm »
feed shed - gone
cockerals shed - gone (to next doors field!)
wooden gates - gone
greenhouse - twisted pile of metal
power cuts and schools closed

crazy lightning through the night mixed with hailstones and 100mph wnds...nice! animals thankfully all fine and house in fine but major clean up job required when its calms down a bit, its still very windy up here in the north
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2013, 05:50:51 pm »
Got up 4.30 wind speed 100 miles an houre none stop rain .Then it snowd it is minus 3 naw all ok .Never seen it like this .They say a nother storm next week.please take care

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2013, 06:00:08 pm »
Feistyredhead, that sounds awful!

My (large and heavy) goosehouse was blown over, fortunately after I'd let them out. Assorted small damage. Me blown across the field and into the beck  ::) No doubt it looked pretty funny at the time, but I raunched my damaged knee again and sat down too heavily for even my well-padded behind to protect me from the rocks, so I was unimpressed.

Power out for a couple of hours, but Aga and campinggas lamp did the necessary.

Small beer on the scale of things.

:fc: for all the folk down the east coast tonight.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2013, 06:03:38 pm »
Gales here and had heavy rain this morning, lots of trees down on roads and the Power went off at 10am and still not back on.
I am at my sisters at the moment and the drive over was fun  :-\ there is thick ice everywhere, whoever built the fell roads is having a laugh because at the bottom of every steep hill there is a very sharp bend !
Graham

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2013, 06:24:42 pm »
High winds heavy rain then sunshine snow more sunshine now hard frost talk about changeable
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2013, 07:44:16 pm »
Well, the Tyne has burst it's banks  :o  :o  :o all the rivers around here now flooded and many roads closed. Coast at north and south shields sounds bad too. Glad I wasn't at work today   ( Newcastle ) don't think I would have got home very easily  :relief:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2013, 10:05:39 pm »
I lost my magnolia tree but it was dead so I'm not too upset. OH has just moved it as it was blocking the entrance to the goat shed (it was in their yard, which is why it was dead). Wheelie bins went flying. I was out this morning and the wind was trying to whip my sticks from under me which made me very nervous. I wished I'd stayed in.

My family are in the south-east so I hope they're alright. I'll ring tomorrow and find out.

I feel for all of you who have suffered damage.  :bouquet:

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2013, 07:13:12 am »
Checked livestock at lunchtime, and found two sheds, which house the goats had blown upside down, and one of them had moved across the field.  Goats were in them at the time.  All ok luckily, found younsters and Darren the male, huddled up in a corner trying to eat grass.  Was fun trying to put the sheds in their rightful place.  A few dents in the tin roofs but thankfully not smashed.  Then the snow came .....thank goodness the wind dropped late last night.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2013, 02:22:16 pm »
Gardensden  harbour got it bad. Right mess. We are not too bad but had to keep all the animals in yesterday. Managed to put them out this morning so they had a good run about. No power this morning, tiles and chimney cover gone.

southernskye

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Isle of Skye - Scotland
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2013, 09:54:13 pm »
Skye did get quite a hammering.
I spent the day before, from around 06:30, getting everything in order, packed away, strapped down/weighted down, tied-together etc. It paid off as, in the end,
we had 4 ridge tiles lifted. one of which was broken. Luckily I have spares and the 4 are now cemented back on as of this morning ;D . The B&B sign was smashed but that's nae bother as i had planned on making a new one this winter.
Winds gusts peaked at 94 mph just 6 miles from my place. North of the island got a peak of 102mph. Aonoch mor (8 miles-ish East of Fort William) got the max at 142mph.

The oddest part was the Thunder and lightening at 05:40am. With the winds howling at their max around that time it really was like a tropical hurricane.....just not so warm!

A goodly smattering of snow has been had and, from tomorrow afternoon, the winds are coming again but only to a peak gust of mid 40mph.

good to hear all survived resonably intact. Take care one and all.
rgds
Sskye
Rgds
Sskye

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2013, 08:25:47 am »
I was meant to be viewing a house in Orkney on Thursday morning. I flew in to Kirkwall wednesday night and stayed in a BnB. The plan was to get the ferry to Westray in the morning, get the plane back in the afternoon and fly home again to Birmingham in the evening. But my two day trip turned into a rather harrowing four day trip!

i picked the absolute worst time to go up there!! The wind was howling round the BnB Wednesday night and was still raging in the morning. The ferry was cancelled so I went to the airport where I spent all day waiting for the wind to rip the roof off the terminal!

There was no way I was going to make it out to Westray that day so they re-arranged my flights so that I could try and get out there the following day. Even then, the plane meant to leave at 8.30am didnt go until 1.00pm and i had to get the ferry back.

I have never seen anything like the wind they had up there on thursday, it was insane! But, I eventually got to see the house and the weather at its worst and we have put an offer in!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS