Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: baby ducklings  (Read 10655 times)

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: baby ducklings
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2010, 12:48:07 pm »
Sounds like you have everything covered Annie. I know that smell only too well! ::) Just keep an eye on them for the first while yo gauge the right height for the heat lamp.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2010, 12:52:49 pm »
Sounds like you have everything covered Annie. I know that smell only too well! ::) Just keep an eye on them for the first while yo gauge the right height for the heat lamp.
Thanks, James.  It's been off during the day for the last three days and only on at night.  Will I need to have it on all day when they go outside? They are almost 3 weeks I think.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2010, 01:08:46 pm »
If they are going to be coming in and going in freely I would keep it on as it is soooo cold. If they are going to be outside all day and just back in at night put the lamp on about an hour or so before they go back in.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2010, 02:19:07 pm »
Oh no - once they are out in that shed they are there till they can go in with their Mum and Dad!  There is NO WAY they are coming back in my house!  Anyway, there may be little brothers and sisters awaiting their box if I can get it cleaned out well enough.The shed is draught proof and I can shut the doors if the weather isn't good.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2010, 12:39:08 pm »
I don't know what setup you have doganjo (or location) but inside (their house) with a good haybox to snuggle up in used to be the old fashioned way. Ducklings usually come off heat completely at 3 weeks (mine hatched same day as yours).

Ideally, they should be fully feathered before they go outside, it's getting a bit nippy now.

This is one idea: a medium sized dog cage in their house, lined outside with paper sacks on all sides bar the door (for added insulation), and then inside, fully lined as a haybed. Letting them have a bit of a run during the day, and then into the haybed over night with the door closed so they stay together. That should give them plenty of ventilation from the cage door area (and no draughts).

:&>

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2010, 06:37:00 pm »
That's more or less what I have outside. It's my large potting shed - I have a large dog cage out there with a wooden base in it, which I could cover with plastic to stop it rotting and to clean easily.   Not sure what I could cover the sides and top with though, but will work on that tomorrow. I have a puppy run that I can put round the cage so they have an area to play and a wee baby's paddling pool for water - blow up type. However, I've just run out of straw and to be honest I'm not convinced of its usefulness as it would spread all over the place. Their Mum and Dad have straw but they have a proper shed and the babies will go in with them as soon as they are big enough anyway. I have towels in their box at the moment which I change about twice/three times a day, although I wouldn't do it that often once they are outside.  I have a lot of old towels so could carry on doing that, especially as I have a spare washing machine for my dogs beds anyway.  Any other ideas for bedding in a dog cage?

Sandy

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2010, 07:21:22 pm »
Do you know if they are males or females yet? I mean, have you sexed them!!  I am collecting the hubbards this w/end so hope they will not mind the pen!

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2010, 07:55:43 pm »
Annie, apparently ducklings can mistake shavings for food - so better use any other bedding. Other than that, all sounds perfect for your youngsters ;D :&>

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2010, 09:43:40 pm »
Kerstin, what age would I be able to sex them?  At the moment 2 of the three look much bigger so give the impression of being drakes but I know that isn't a sure method.  Do I have to wait till their voices mature?

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2010, 09:50:44 pm »
voices and curly tail feathers. It's a wee bit early to tell...aren't yours mixed breed? Then size might not be an indicator. :&>

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2010, 10:10:46 pm »
Dad is a Swedish Blue, Mum is a Khaki Campbell as far as I know - mixed brownish shades. Jack is a lot bigger than Jemima I must admit.    The grey one with the cream chest bib last time turned all white. So this one might too.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2010, 09:57:43 pm »
My ducklings are now 4 weeks old and have been out in the shed for a week.  They are fine there but obviously they need to get outside soon.  Can anyone give me advice on how to integrate them with their parents (who don't know them), and also when they will be able to be in a shed with an open pop hole.  Their Mum and Dad are in a big run that they theoretically at least can't escape from.
Any thoughts folks?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 06:25:43 pm by doganjo »

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2010, 05:49:07 pm »
I'm a bit excited..................... ::) :D  I am almost 80% sure I heard two of my baby ducklings quack, which means they are girls.  I've asked before but can anyone advise me how soon I can put them in with their Mum and Dad.  They are fine where they are except I can't leave the shed door open in case the cat has a go at them - or the dogs for that matter - so they have daylight but no view if you know what I mean.  They must be about 4 or 5 weeks old now.  The duck shed isn't really big enough to split.  The rats wouldn't take them now I don't think as they are quite big.

I need to get rid of the rats but can't put poison down because of Rio, my cat, who is a hunter/killer/eater  ::)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2010, 07:43:54 pm »
Annie, I can't advise you on the "reunion" with mum and dad as I got mine quite late from James - I wished I had done it earlier at the time, I remember that because they were almost fully grown and simply strangers to the others. I left my chicks out to meet dad and the harem at about 5 weeks, they did get shoved around but not too badly.
Regarding poison and cat - the environmental guy left a secure poison box for outside so the birds don't have access to it. He also said that the cat would have to eat about 20 poisoned mice to get a problem. Should she show any signs of bleeding from nose, ear or mouth she had too many and will need the vet to give a coagulant.We've had poison out  for several years now and never had a problem with the cat, she also does not seem to be interested in poisoned mice, they don't move fast enough to trigger her hunting instinct. :&>

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2010, 10:32:58 am »
No no no. Never put poison down for rats / mice. Not even in a box especially made for the stuff. Poultry, cats etc WILL eat carrion.

I'm not meaning to offend anyone, and I know some will say 'but he must know his job' - but it would take eating 20 poisoned mice to 'show up' (of course he would say that, he's selling the stuff)? There is plenty of evidence to prove otherwise.  Do you think you could eat the equivalent of 20 mice worth of poison and think you wouldn't feel the effects?

Much more I could write on this but it's off topic!!!!!

GRRRRRR     >:(  >:(   >:(  >:(
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 10:59:33 am by OhLaLa »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS