Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Possible smallholding photography project through 2010  (Read 3647 times)

cmorrell

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Kirkintilloch, NE of Glasgow
    • Calum Morrell Photography
Possible smallholding photography project through 2010
« on: December 13, 2009, 02:20:44 pm »
For a couple of years now I've been wanting to take on a more ambitious longer term project. Now, having been a member of TAS and the CSSA for almost a year and having met a good number of you and seeing the level in interest and effort most of you put in, I'm wondering if there would be any interest from centralish Scotland members of TAS/CSSA/other relevant body in allowing me to put together a photo essay on the life of a smallholder through 2010.

I'm still working on what precisely this would entail and I suspect it will change as the year progresses and I gain a better understanding of what does and doesn't work photographically, but I would see the absolute basics involving the need for me to visit anyone involved at various points through the year from early Jan to end of Dec and annoying them by taking photos while, it's fair to say, not looking their best.

What would be the intended end result? A projected sequence of photos would probably be the key aim with the option to run it in various locations in 2011 if there is any support. An online gallery of images, of course. There could be the option of producing a book if anyone shows an interest, although I would expect this to be incredibly low volume, so producing to order from the likes of Blurb would probably be an idea.

I would see this as offering the opportunity to build on what him-from-River-Cottage and various other presenters have started by showing people how simple keeping chickens etc. can be, but showing the full reality of what's involved rather than just the fluffy tv friendly parts. Providing some minor marketing for TAS/CSSA/any other body involved/those of you who produce to sell commercially.

So... thoughts? anyone interested in participating? I would want to include every level from back yard enthusiast through to small business, so I suspect that covers pretty much everyone on these forums if you're close enough for me to reasonably drive to you a few times through the year.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
Re: Possible smallholding photography project through 2010
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 05:08:11 pm »
Sounds like a great project Callum, though I agree I can see some of the pictures will not be flattering. If you want a goaty project, I'd be happy to be a participant.

Beth

cmorrell

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 05:18:12 pm »
Sounds like a great project Callum, though I agree I can see some of the pictures will not be flattering. If you want a goaty project, I'd be happy to be a participant.

I'd love to include you Beth, still love your goats :)

bamford6

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 09:23:57 pm »
it would very good ..but it is harder in some parts off the country ... this week for me start 730 53 pens 3 to 5 birds in each pen all plastic drinkers minus 8 thees day .Friday minus 10 Saturday minus 12 sunday minus 15 temp at the moment only minus 6 highland Scotland 900 above sea level very cold takes till 12 30 dark 4 pm then start again be for bed all stock get warm feed every 2 days and thats just them we have ducks geese 200 sheep 2 dogs

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 11:26:34 pm »
it would very good ..but it is harder in some parts off the country ... this week for me start 730 53 pens 3 to 5 birds in each pen all plastic drinkers minus 8 thees day .Friday minus 10 Saturday minus 12 sunday minus 15 temp at the moment only minus 6 highland Scotland 900 above sea level very cold takes till 12 30 dark 4 pm then start again be for bed all stock get warm feed every 2 days and thats just them we have ducks geese 200 sheep 2 dogs

Goodness, that would need a project of its own!  In fact a TV programme! ::)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 07:23:25 am »
Think its a great idea. 

Andrew

• Joined Dec 2007
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 09:49:42 am »
Callum I think this is a great idea, It is the CSSA AGM on Wednesday, hopefully you can come along and discuss in more detail with us all then.

cmorrell

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 12:11:45 pm »
Hi Andrew, certainly hoping to be present on Wednesday. I only have one thing which may get in the way due to a client going to print on Friday, but hoping to capture the photos required by end of Tuesday ... if the weather is at all useful.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS