Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: When to do first fly strike prevention  (Read 4296 times)

wannabesmallholder

• Joined Jan 2017
When to do first fly strike prevention
« on: April 02, 2017, 07:35:37 am »
First time sheep keeper here, so just checking advice.

When should I do the first fly strike treatment and what product would be best to use?

We are in the South and it's certainly warming up now, so should it be done now? I've seen advice that says it shouldn't be done before shearing, but others that says it it can be done 6 weeks before the first shearing, which would be around now?

Two of my ewes are in lamb and due in the next couple of weeks. They're not easy to round up so I don't really want to be chasing them around the field and doing it before lambing. If it does need doing around now, could I do it immediately after lambing or does this affect the lamb or the binding process etc?

I'm sure this is a basic question, but when you're doing it for the first time it's not so obvious!

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: When to do first fly strike prevention
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 08:15:04 am »
Normally do our first lamb treatment in May- our ewes are being shorn in May too so we will do the lambs when the ewes come in, along with a white wormer and first vaccination and tagging (have them in for a couple of days). Our ewes were crutched before lambing and despite being out on lush grass are relatively clean behind. I would just keep an eye on yours, it's a bit early for strike yet.

shotblastuk

• Joined May 2013
  • Proper Gloucestershire !!
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 08:26:00 am »
I wouldn't flystrike close to  shearing. Your shearer may not be too impressed, most flystrike treatments are nasty stuff.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 09:29:17 am »
We treat the lambs with Clik as soon as we see more than half a dozen greenbottles in a day, and make a note to reapply 16 weeks later.  Ewes are dagged and a close eye kept on them until after shearing.  Clik is applied to the ewes about a month after that, when the fleece is one centimetre long, and generally lasts until the end of the fly season.  You may wish to consider Crovect, which has a shorter withdrawal time should you be intending to take the sheep to slaughter or the cull market - timing is important.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2017, 09:42:02 am »
We treat the lambs with Clik as soon as we see more than half a dozen greenbottles in a day, and make a note to reapply 16 weeks later.  Ewes are dagged and a close eye kept on them until after shearing.  Clik is applied to the ewes about a month after that, when the fleece is one centimetre long, and generally lasts until the end of the fly season.  You may wish to consider Crovect, which has a shorter withdrawal time should you be intending to take the sheep to slaughter or the cull market - timing is important.

We have always used crovect with success as long as you stick to 6 weeks reapplication. Any longer than that and they will get strike, and must be applied properly. I am going to give Mole Valley's own brand a go this year, considerably cheaper than crovect and the same ingredients apparently. I looked at Clik but it wasn't as cost effective as crovect even with 2 or 3 applications.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2017, 10:17:47 am »
We do the first application mid-May, to the lambs only ie when they are 4 weeks old.  The ewes are not Crovected until after shearing (we do it by hand over a couple of weeks) and certainly not in the 3 months before shearing either.  The exception to this is if a ewe is struck, in which case the fleece is going to be rubbish anyway, so if you are shearing yourselves, just shear and do the Crovect for that ewe there and then.  If you are getting a shearer in, then let him/her know about the Crovect.
By using hand shears the fleece is left longer than with machine shearing, so Crovect can be applied directly after shearing.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 10:19:30 am by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2017, 01:34:49 pm »
Nobody has mentioned clikzin ....  like clik but much shorter withdrawl
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2017, 03:08:17 pm »
Nobody has mentioned clikzin ....  like clik but much shorter withdrawl

Doesn't last as long either?

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2017, 03:59:03 pm »
no but will last till shearing which is what this is about!
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2017, 06:22:34 pm »
I have a few that were sheared in January as they will be shown mid summer. I have just done them first time this year with Crovect as the fleece is a centimetre or so and they won't be sheared again this year so will get Crovect again early May so protected until after they have been shown, and this ensures that the dosing is several weeks ahead of any handling in the show ring.  Last year I thought I could wait until after the shows as we don't get too many flies here early on, only to get fly strike 3 days before.

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2017, 10:16:54 pm »
What would anyone recommend to use before shearing to be effective against blowflies?

Will be using Clik after shearing but with this warm weather now I can imagine the flies will be out soon.

Thanks
4 pet sheep

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2017, 08:17:45 am »
I always use Crovect, it has a short withdrawl which is great for the lambs and if applied every 6 weeks its fine. It works for me as my lambs need worming at the same times as spraying.

Some years I've applied Crovect in early May and shorn mid June. But other years I've not applied any before shearing and not noticed any difference. I think if their sprayed it gives you a false sense of security and as most people will know just because their sprayed it doesn't mean they won't get struck on a piece of fleece you've missed.

I'd be vigilant until their shorn. Then apply a couple of weeks after. I think spotting a struck sheep is something that comes with experience. Keep an eye out for itchy sheep, any dark patches of fleece, sheep looking distracted and any 'dirty' sheep catch them and trim the fleece around their backside.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2017, 09:44:16 am »
If the weather turns hot and humid before shearing we also move our sheep to the windiest field on the farm.  Vigilance is still key, however.  Also look for sheep making nibbling movements with their lips, nabbing at a foot or staying apart from the rest.  Flystrike most often happens around the soiled wool near the tail but sometimes around the brisket and shoulders in a sort of "mayoral chain" shape.  This is harder to spot until the wool starts to look damp because the maggots have gone into the skin and it's oozing.  Flystrike in the foot is also a possibility.

farmershort

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2017, 01:12:57 pm »
As above.. some great advice there.. but another tell tale sign that o like to tell folk who are new to sheep is this:

Watch out for sheep with an arc of mud on their side, just in front of the rear leg. This is where sheep sometime try and scratch the itch with their back leg (if struck on the back), and leave a lovely tell tale arc of mud where their foot has reached.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS