Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Smallholding away from home - is it possible?  (Read 10296 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Smallholding away from home - is it possible?
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2014, 12:07:32 pm »
That's just brilliant news, Ryder - as you say, serendipity!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2014, 12:28:53 pm »
That's great news  :excited: it's surprising how much you can do on an allotment. Ours is flourishing this year, hens, fruit, veg.  :yum:  and sooo enjoyable even on a cold wet day.

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2014, 01:51:01 pm »
Result, get in there fantastic so pleased for you cheers.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

SirDoolb

• Joined Sep 2013
  • rock of ages
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2014, 10:32:20 pm »
So glad that you asked this.
My land is 13.5 miles from  my home address. I don't drive. I think if you drive and have a suitable vehicle, all things are possible. I was cycling to my land, I'm very fit and the journey was easy, that is until I came off my pushie and dislocated my shoulder. Getting to the land became a little bit of a problem. 9 mile bus ride then a 3.5 mile walk. Twice a day. Now I run because I have most of what I need on the land thanks to family and friends moving stuff for me and thanks to my trusty shopping trolly that I could load up with stuff when I needed it.
I've had to consider security very hard, I do worry about how vulnerable my stuff is. However my land is not on a road, you have to pass through fields or someone's arden to get there. Not easy. There are a couple of people who wander about my land (uninvited, there is no public access but they come to observe the wildlife (I have a hornets nest in my barn, amazing to watch them working), anyway those people have my contact details if they spot anything untoward).

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS