Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Liming the chicken compound  (Read 1155 times)

Barrie

• Joined Feb 2021
Liming the chicken compound
« on: January 07, 2024, 05:06:36 pm »
Hi guys, I've been advised to lime my chicken compound in the spring. Is this something I can do with the chickens still in there or have I got to move them out. If I have to move them, any ideas on how long for ?
Many thanks
Barrie

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: Liming the chicken compound
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2024, 06:03:35 pm »
You certainly cannot put lime down while the chickens are in there. It's really nasty stuff which will burn their feet and when inhaled as dust it may well kill them. Needs to be washed in thoroughly with plenty of rain. Not sure why you would want to do this anyway? Of what benefit is it? (I am working with lime at the moment- wearing gloves and chemical dust mask)

15 years keeping chickens and I haven't heard of this.

Barrie

• Joined Feb 2021
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2024, 09:02:52 pm »
The local gamekeeper told me they do it in the pheasant pens as it kills off the worms that the birds can get in their lungs. Thinking about it the pheasant wouldn't be in there for a few months after they have done that anyway.

Richmond

• Joined Sep 2020
  • Norfolk
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2024, 08:38:16 am »
The ground should be rested for a minimum of 3 months after liming. However it would be better to move the pen on to fresh ground regularly which would reduce parasite load and also give the hens some fresh space to explore - especially if they don't get the opportunity to free range. And worm the hens with Flubenvet.

Barrie

• Joined Feb 2021
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2024, 08:11:51 am »
Thanks for that. There compound is about half an acre including some mature trees. Theres 30 hens and one happy cockerel in there. Not sure if that classifies as free range. Ill go down the medicated feed rout I think. Rehousing them for 3 months would be a struggle.
Cheers
Barrie

Richmond

• Joined Sep 2020
  • Norfolk
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2024, 08:55:52 am »
Half an acre may seem like a lot of space but if there are 30 hens on there constantly, month on month, year on year, then the ground will become "chicken sick" over time and they will reinfect themselves very quickly after worming if not given a change of land to break the parasite reproduction cycle. If this is the only land available to you it might be worth considering dividing it in half and moving the hens from one half to the other every 3 months.

Barrie

• Joined Feb 2021
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2024, 11:01:38 am »
Chicken sick is the phrase that started the whole exercise. I've had chickens on that land for the best part of 30 years on and off. The temptation is to get rid of the chickens and let it lay fallow for a year. I can't stand the thought of buying eggs though. Splitting it in half is a great idea, I'm going to have a look at the logistics of that. Thanks for the interest.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS