Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hedges and pigs  (Read 2973 times)

JMB

• Joined Apr 2011
Hedges and pigs
« on: August 20, 2013, 08:09:39 pm »
Hi.
I want to put a hedge between the pig fence and the old stone wall ( next to a road) It'll be a bit of a wind break and perhaps stop people sticking their fingers through to poke the pigs ( i envisage an accident sooner or later) (We have signs, makes no difference!).
It's a shady area next to a tree so I was looking at holly or something, but I'm not sure if the pigs will nibble on this. I don't mind if they do, but I'm not sure if some hedging is poisonous, or if I can find a plant that will grow in those conditions that they will like to chew on.
Any ideas welcome
Thank you
Joanne xxxx

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Re: Hedges and pigs
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 08:25:42 pm »
rose hedging is lovely, some varieties stay at a handy size so dont need trimming and will certainly stop fingers poking through the fence. its edible. im not sure on shade but if you ask victorianna nurseries, they are v helpful.

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 05:41:24 am »
Holly is a very slow grower.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 07:38:25 am »
If you want a very quick hedge that is edible willow could be it. You will need to cut it back and/or lay it every year but you can feed the cuttings to livestock. Needs protection from rabbits too.

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 09:19:55 am »
I think I'd be tempted to go for roses  :thumbsup:
Here's a link to a site that list the ones to avoid http://www.smallholderseries.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=181:poisonous-plants17&catid=89&Itemid=193

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 09:34:48 am »
Interesting list, and worth linking to as I wouldn't deliberately introduce anything poisonous next to pigs.
However I'm never sure who complies these lists.

I have used pigs to clear an ivy floor in a wood (Ivy is on the list), they simply dug the stuff up, and it is now glorious bluebells and other plants.
Rhodies are not on the list, but frequently quoted as poisonous, we have friends with 100 pigs in a wood stuffed full of Rhodie, they love it for shade

Another set of friends have theirs in an area with bracken in it (again on the list) - they simply ignore it.
Ragwort is also quoted some places as poisonous, again never seen anyone have this as a problem, and plenty of people have ragwort dotted around.

I think pigs are generally pretty cute on what they eat, and I'm not sure quite how anyone gets to a definitive list of what is poisonous. 

After all on all medical definitions alcohol is poisonous to humans !
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

JMB

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 07:39:46 pm »
Thanks for the link.
We have loads of creeping buttercup!! Doesn't seem to have done any harm so far.
And my sheep book recommends ivy for sheep when they have a poor appetite!!!!
Interesting though
Joanne xxxxx

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS