Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: My pigs don't wallow?!  (Read 1936 times)

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
My pigs don't wallow?!
« on: July 28, 2010, 12:04:21 pm »
My pigs are still amazing - Daisy, the gilt we are keeping has become very affectionate but likes to chew boots - bad pig!

They just don;t seem fussed with wet mud/water. We've tried digging out a couple of patched and filling them with water but out land is very well draining and after 2 days they're pretty dry again - I do;t have the option of leaving the hose on due to the location of the field.

They never tip their water over either. A couple of them look to have dry skins on their backs, it's not irritating them and they are not scratching but should I worry about this?

I rubbed daisy all over in wet mud the other day but the others are younger and more wary of the strange game I had devised!!

Should I leave them to their own devices? Will they ever like mud?! ??? :pig:

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: My pigs don't wallow?!
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 06:28:49 pm »
how warm is it?!
our pigs were born last spring - they hardly wallowed at all last year, then as it been alot hotter this year have gone mud-crazy!
Mildred has quite long hair, and gets lumps stuck on her skin that I try and brush out.... then she just gets straight back into the mud again!!

so don't despair, (as long as they are not too hot) they'll soon grow a liking for glorious mud.
Little Blue

waterboy

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 02:40:44 pm »
We had exactly the same situation when we had our first middle whites, they just didn't want to play in the beautiful wallows I got the OH to make, to the point where I did the same as you and was upto my neck in mud covering them nose to tail thinking this was a great game and they'd follow suit,which they didn't. This went on for a few weeks then 1 day i turned up and they were covered nose to trotter in mud so I wouldn't worry too much they will decide to get in there when they want too and again early this month when our Berkshires arrived for a while there they ignored the wallows choosing instead to sit in the sunken bath they have as a trough, anyone would think its a spa lol. But now they all wallow as and when they want too. So as long as they aren't getting sunburnt or heat stroke I wouldn't worry too much just keep an eye on them they'll be fine.

HTH
Manda  :)
Rob & Manda :)

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 12:08:48 am »
Since the weather is cool enough right now you're just lucky - pigs wee in wallows and end up coated in smelly mud! We have to alternate our wallows and drain them or you can smell the little darlings from the other end of the field  ;D
Or maybe that's just our piggies...  ???

Eve  :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS