Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: milk seperator  (Read 2908 times)

suzi

• Joined Jul 2022
milk seperator
« on: August 22, 2022, 06:02:29 am »
i want to separate my milk. im googling and coming up with this product is what i need. then reviews are awful!

can anyone recommend one please?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: milk seperator
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2022, 12:07:21 pm »
no photo or attachment....

We have the "ukrainian" cream separator, which you will see in lots of photos on the web if you do a cream separator web search. Ours is not the stainless steel version, so not for commercial operation. It works fine (and has done so for about 10 years now), you do need to have around 10 ltrs of milk to do at a time, it does get clogged up if you do more, but less is not worth the washing up required. Very useful to have available early on in summer if you have a glut of milk but no time to make lots of cheese.... It takes a bit of time to get used to it, but I wouldn't be without mine.

suzi

• Joined Jul 2022
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2022, 09:22:25 pm »
is this the 1 thats on amazon?
i nearly ordered it earlier today but thought id ask on here incase someone had another suggestion.
thank you

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2022, 10:05:46 pm »
I am sorry I don't use Amazon, but if it is red and very retro looking, then yes. I guess you want the electric and not the hand-cranked one, and for goats cream/milk you need to warm the milk to around 40 deg C. It also helps to "warm up" the separator by putting quite hot water through is before the milk, and the separator has to be bolted to a VERY sturdy surface (we use a surplus bit of kitchen worktop).

I remember ours being in the order of around 100 pounds (as I said that was 10 years ago).

suzi

• Joined Jul 2022
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2022, 05:40:09 am »
that does sound like the amazon one. thank you!

ill order it now and hope it arrives before my new ladies next week.

seeker

• Joined Nov 2020
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2022, 10:26:58 am »
This is the same machine we have, we're happy with it even though the washing-up is a bit of a pain  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS